6 replies to this topic

#1 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:13 AM

next week i'll be in crete, but i'll get a lot of pleasure from the same things i do in the north west of england where i live, we'll walk the hills, get some involvement in it's military history (my father was in crete in 1941 in different circumstances, he got a late deal from the 8th army, north african travel shop, allocation on arrival :? )

but if there's one thing i'm looking forward to, apart from the obvious sun sea and sand, it's sitting on my balcony, smoking a smelly cigar listening to the crickets, being warm at midnight, hearing greek words shouted, picking up the odd word, guessing at the meaning, feeling totally at home

there's more, there's being treated like a friend by a person who doesn't know you but because you made the effort to learn how to say thank you and they go out of their way to help, saying good morning and being greeted like an old friend ( even tho you've said it like a two year old)

may be it's because we're similar people in a way, island mentality, i suspect the the kiwi's feel the same, i know how many of them love crete for how they helped their (our) lads but then just found they loved the place anyway

just some of my thoughts before i go

kali nikta, or for yanni as he's in bed and will see this tomorrow kali mera! efaristo

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:45 AM

Shared feelings mate. think one of the few differences is that I will have traded the cigar for a raki or two though! Check your post!!
Tim

#3 richcoll

richcoll

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

Sounds wonderful, we will be there in just over 24 hours. We will be up at 4am for our drive to Bristol, I just love it!

#4 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

Nice post 'arribobs :D

Have a good 'un and enjoy your posy 4x4 :D

#5 Tall_Guy

Tall_Guy

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

We don't live on an island but I agree with Harribobs completely...well almost.....I'll share the raki with Tim while you chase off the "Mossies" with the cigar smoke. :-)

Have a great trip Chris...I'll be looking you you & Mandy in Matala.
(exactly 2 weeks from now we will be boarding the ferry for Crete !)

Paul
N 44 54.474
W 63 46.979

#6 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

I am sat at the PC watching the "Departure" info for Bristol airport so that I know when my husband's 8.30 a.m. flight is airborne en route for Crete. I am wide awake after dropping him off at the airport at 6.00 a.m.

Now my simple pleasure is using my favourite website to make me feel that little bit near to "home". I just wish he had taken the time to read the great mozzie thread (I have read it all several times and still lol lots!!) still I expect he will remember to refill the electric thingy and buy autan - but probably only after he is bitten. Shame!! Do I sound like a nasty vindictive home alone sort of person?? (No need to answer that one!)

Yvonne

#7 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

I just wish he had taken the time to read the great mozzie thread (I have read it all several times and still lol lots!!) still I expect he will remember to refill the electric thingy and buy autan - but probably only after he is bitten. Shame!!

i wouldn't worry too much about him Yvonne, there won't be many mossies in the pub :lol: :lol: opps oh no he'll be too busy painting and repairing won't he? :roll:

it will be a simple but very enjoyable pleasure i'm sure to be meeting Tim and Paul, also my other friends who don't use t'internet

it is like going home!