4 replies to this topic

#1 dutch533

dutch533

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

just wondering what to do about spending money have been told not to bother taking any travellers cheques with me as you only end up losing on the exchange rate, but instead take sterling with me and exchange it when i am in crete wots your thoughts please :?: :?:

#2 Guest_AcornMan_*

Guest_AcornMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

You'll get ripped off regardless of whether you use travelers checks or Pounds Sterling. Just bring your ATM card and get Euros that way.

#3 Guest_carolina_*

Guest_carolina_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

Travellers cheques are not readily accepted (even at some banks / post offices) so it may be better to bring cash.
In answer to acornman the exchange rate in Crete is nearly always better than in the Uk; using a card to withdraw cash will get you the lower (UK) exchange rate, plus charges from your bank.

carolina
www.livingincrete.net

#4 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

You'll get ripped off regardless of whether you use travelers checks or Pounds Sterling. Just bring your ATM card and get Euros that way.

This is certainly not my experience, I'm happy to be able to report. Occasionally, in remote places, an hotel may make an additional small profit, and why shouldn't they: they probably sell food more expensively than the supermarket too.

Generally speaking I find the entire money-changing situation the same in Greece as in all the other Euro-countries (and may we join them one day too - imagine, no money-changing at all).

Even after our three and a half week stay last autumn, which was a week longer than we had originally planned, I suppose I may have spent a few UK Pounds in total in commissions, fees and so on. To be honest, the drain on my financial resources, compared to what we spent on frappes for instance, was negligible. Used UK cash and ATM. No problems.

Henry.

#5 _Alberto

_Alberto

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:25 PM

An altyernative, change sterlings with euro in UK, so to have with you some cash in Euro. This way you can have euros changed at the rate you find more convenient in your own country.
I fully understand that one may not wish to bring much cash, but I am speaking of say 500 Euros. I am sure you can deposit them in a hotel safe or even in a bank - being a touristic location it must be organizide under this point of view.
Besides from those 500 cash, use your CC.

Of course, this depends on the lenght of your stay and on what you plan to do. But at least it bypasses, to some degree, your conversion issue.
Just an idea. ciao