4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

We've not posted for some time for various reasons, but I've decided to stir myself and put some effort  in.

First Easy Jet have opened bookings for next year, we've already booked ourselves to Chania on 20/05/'14, and returning 05/06/'14.

this does give us an extra day at the expense of a latenight/ early morning return, but as we're both retired now we don't have to get back to work (oh yes, I remember work).

We've been staying at the same place in Ag.Apostoli for 4 years now, beause the area suits us and the transport links are good.

We don't go exploring as much, as I don't enjoy driving in Crete like I used to, and we don't feel inclned to spend the money on car hire.

We do use the buses a lot, they are good value for money, just a bit limiting on times and destinations once you're off the beaten track.

Last year, having heard that the archeological museum in Heraklion was effectively re-opened, we took the bus all the way to Heraklion from Chania, only to find that he museum closed shortly after we got there. This disapointment was compounded by the heavy rain which fell for the rest of the day and limited our interest in siteseeing.

So we got back on the bus and went back again. That was only the second time we've been to the city in twenty years of coming to Crete, we will need a lot of encouragement to make the effort again. Perhaps some of you have had some wonderful times there and can tell us about it.

The fact that we have been returning to Crete for twenty years shows the affection we have for the place.

Hope we have a great time next year to keep it alive.

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi, Mike & Jane - good to hear from you again and that you're returning to Crete next year, when we definitely must meet up.  Heraklion isn't our favourite city either - we did make a couple of trips last year but that was only to visit a friend in hospital and I doubt we'll bother again, even in a car it's quite a long drive.

Life here continues as normal, still pretty hot so not much work is being done in the garden, but we will get out there as soon as we've had the first autumn rains.

Pam & Bob

#3 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi Pam, missed you this year, I think you had visitors when we were free. weather here has been glorious recently, rain arrived today. My olive crop looking good this year. Perhaps we'll go for some car hire next year.

M&J.

#4 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi! again - 2 pieces of news:-

1/-  since 11:11 BST 13th Oct we have become grandparents for the first time, We've not met little Rose yet, I was in Hospital until Saturday night, and I'm not yet fit to travel, but Jane will be taking my mother up to Knebworth tomorrow (Wednesday) to meet her. I shall get up there as soon as I'm passed fit to go.

2/:- my two little olive trees have at last produced a fair crop, but  of course the weather has just turned cold and wet. I was wondering if some plastic sheeting would act as a greenhouse and encourage them to finish up and ripen a bit. Anyone with any olive growing experience out there?

#5 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hi, Mike  - congratulations on your granddaughter, I'm sure she will give you many years of pleasure.  Sorry to hear you've been ill - hope you make a quick recovery.

Not sure about the olives - rain will of course help to fatten them up ( we're desperate for rain here as we've only had one significant rainfall since last February and the olives are not looking good).  Mostly here the olives are harvested Dec/Jan, when it can be cold here, so suggest you just leave them for now.

All the best and we'll be sure to meet up with you next May - we've no visitors scheduled for that time next year.