33 replies to this topic

#21 jql

jql

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Anyone know what the state of the New National Road is between Hersonissos and Pirgos, i.e. do you still have to go through Stalis and Malia on the ONR? It's a while since we were in the East, and last time you could only look optimistically at the soaring brand new unopened section, expecting it to be open imminently, but imminence had been going on a long time.

Additionally, what is the current status of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, i.e. how much open, where, and when?

Regards to all  jql

#22 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

The new road is now open as far as Selinari so you now bypass Malia and Stalis.

Sorry, but I have no idea about the museum, perhaps somebody else can answer this.

John

Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#23 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi 

The museum in 2011 was partly open, that is it was not a full exhibition. What the situation is, I could not tell you. 

Kieran 

#24 jql

jql

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Thanks John and Kieran. I believe the museum has perhaps a couple of rooms open, but not necessarily in the actual museum location itself. Can anyone else help? Hope not to make (long) trip to Heraklion to be disappointed. Anyway will provide details of the situation on return to UK. Anyone else travelling this month with updates on general Cretan news?

John L.

#25 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

13 days till we arrive! Going to be interesting travel this year as we have to:-

1, Monday 19th - drive from Stevenage to Milton Keynes with dog and luggage, leave dog with daughter and son-in-law, get to Milton Keynes Coachway to catch coach to Gatwick for 04:20am arrival, to catch 06:00am EasyJet flight to Chania, arr. 1138am

2. Return Flt 22:30 4th June, are. Gatwick 00:30 5th June, Daughter has promised to pick us up and take us back to Milton Keynes, heads down for a few hours , then drive back to Stevenage with dog and luggage.

(subject to change and amendment)

Hoping for sun and relaxation in between.

#26 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

, what is the current status of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum, i.e. how much open, where, and when?

Regards to all  jql

From todays Ekathimerini (Greek newspaper) :

The Archaeological Museum of Iraklio on Crete, which hosts the world’s best collection of Minoan artifacts, reopened on Tuesday after more than seven years of repairs and refurbishment.

In a statement on its website, the Culture Ministry said the museum’s exhibition of Minoan artifacts would be open to visitors daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The museum closed in November 2006 for a revamp. Most pieces in the museum’s collection are examples of the island’s Minoan civilization, which thrived from around 2,700 to 1,450 BC, but exhibits date from the Neolithic period to Roman times.

John

Ref: http://www.ekathimer.../05/2014_539491

Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#27 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

We trekked across from Chania on the bus last May to see the temporary exhibit, and found it closing at 3pm. They wouldn't admit us at 2:30pm so we had to wander about in the rain. Don't know if I can persuade jane to go again this year.

#28 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

5 weeks to Crete,

#29 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

We arrived yesterday, up at 5:30 Monday, went to bed tired and emotional 10:00 pm Tuesday. now heading for day's recovery on beach, more later.

#30 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hi, Mike & Jane - hope you had a good day's recovery time on the beach yesterday. Hope to see you next week - our only commitments are Sunday when we've arranged to go out with a friend and Thursday 29th when Bob has to have the last of his tests in Chania.  Please get in touch and we'll arrange something.

Pam & Bob

#31 jql

jql

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Further to John on 7th May, we visited the newly (completely) reopened Archaeological Museum on Monday 12th May, and it is magnificent. Open all day, and endless galleries: too much to get through in a week, never mind a day. Written guidance pretty sparse thus far (museum map and guide very basic,  exhibit labelling a bit haphazard and not very informative), but it is OPEN, and can only improve. Guides/invigilators (who must all be new) not too clued up yet, and a bit bossy and protective of their new facility, as they should be. Take Blue Guide. Surprising they haven't spent more effort on the gift shop, where Knossos booklets seem to be the main (just about the only) offering. Admission 3 Euros (OAP rate): think full price is 6. Lots of school groups (excellent!), so suggest you start early.

As John says, the NNR now bypasses Hersonissos, Stalida and Malia, but much of the new carriageways are roped off to single lane in each direction, with rather alarming midi-roundabouts coming up suddenly for exits to Hersonissos and Malia/Sisi. Work continues(?) on construction of proper access/exit ramps (Kombos!).

Incidentally, (Limenas) Hersonissos seemed quite lively (i.e. populated by tourists), whereas Malia was less so: assume it's not teen season yet.

Repeat, if you're going to Crete, go to the museum.

#32 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

well, thank you for the update jql. it certainly clarifies the situation for many people as. I will probably not make it to Iraklio as I will be staying around the Chania/ Kalyves  area this year. We hope to hire a car for the middle week and travel to Paleochora for a couple of days, but plans change so we will see.

and, more importantly three weeks to Crete for us. 

Kieran 

#33 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi, Kieran - glad you're getting things sorted out.  It's looking likely that we may not be around when you first get to Kalyves as Bob needs to have an op, probably in Athens where they can do keyhole surgery - we should know exact dates on Monday after seeing the consultant, but will be back before you return to Ireland. Will PM you contact details and dates when we'll be around before you come over.  Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Pam

#34 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

1 week to Kato Daratso, Chania and Kalyves yippie,

Stand by Cretens I am on my way.