33 replies to this topic

#1 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Well, there has been very little activity in the forum of late, I wonder why? I am booked to go to Crete in July 6th until july 20th and intend to travel around by car. It is the best way rather then a package holiday. However, a question to those who are in Crete at the moment or living there, what are your impressions? are they tourist numbers down? What are the crete people generally thinking of the situation?
You might be forgiven for thinking the worst if reading the papers was anything to go by. Please share your thoughts
Thank you

Kieran

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hi, we have been in Crete the past 2 weeks and have been very pleasantly surprised. Yes tourist numbers are down and some very well established businesses have unfortunately closed down but prices are competitive, people are as friendly and welcoming as ever, most seem philosophical and looking forward to the re election in June. There are no strikes at present because there is no government as such to try to pressure.

The sun is fabulous and the sea is starting to warm up, so to anyone thinking about a visit to Crete I would say come on over, the economy needs you! :D
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Over here in the west of the island, it certainly is very quiet in terms of tourist numbers and our Greek friends locally are quite depressed about it. However, a lot of work is being done in the olive and orange groves and vegetables are being planted. At least on this part of the island where the soil is good and water plentiful, the locals can at least feed themselves and make some money from selling oranges and olive oil. If anybody is worried by the news reports of riots and strikes, be assured that is only Athens and all is peaceful here on Crete, so do come here for a holiday - the scenery is still beautiful and the people still welcoming.

Pam

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

I was in Crete in January for a week, March for 2 weeks & the beginning of May for a week. Obviously the tourist season was only just beginning in May, but numbers did seem to be down. I have a house in a rural, agricultural area & the number of plots that are being cultivated this year is on the increase. Many people are now starting to really suffer from the economic crisis & there are many groups being set up to help those who are finding themselves in dire straits. One of these groups, based in Crete is called Give, they have a Facebook page & I think a website.
The great Greek/Cretan tradition still remains and the people are helping each other.
Prices in Tavernas, Bars & Kafenions vary according to where you are. you can still get a coffee or frappe for 1 euro, a large beer for 2 euros away from the tourist resorts. Prices in my local taverna are still the same as they were in 2007, except for the wine, that's gone up from 1.80 to 2 euros for a half kilo (litre).

The local businesses can't wait to serve you! Don't worry, still come to Crete, you'll have a wonderful time!

I'll be going back over 19th June until 11th July, so Keiran you'd be very welcome to pay me a visit! I'm about 20 mins drive south of Heraklion, just off the Heraklion to Mires/Timbaki road. PM me if you'd like details of any places to stay near me & for my greek mobile number, if you'd like to get in touch. I don't have internet access when I'm in Crete!

#5 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Well, Thank you for the responses Yvonne, Pam and Ros21. I HAVE NO intention of letting the newspapers change my mind about going to Crete. I have been going for the last 13 or 14 years and have travelled North South East and West, and am TOTALLY (god, I sound like a teenager lol and believe me I am not lolol) looking forward to going back to familiar and unfamiliar places, but, I did feel in the last two years it was a bit quieter then before. It is not the best time of the year but family circumstances demand we go from July 6th until 20th. Anyway, so long at there are no strikes stopping us from going there, I will be happy. AND, to be honest, not really worried about getting home. lol they can strike all they want once I get there. And, Ros thank you for the invite. at the moment, we are planned to land on the 6th of July in Heraklion Airport at 23.45 and taking a taxi to Heraklion to our hotel, then, staying until Sunday and hiring a car to travel to Bali, (never been to Bali, for a few days and then travelling to Plakas (hope I got the spelling right) and then on to Agia Galini. The countdown has started here and my wife is calling the holiday "The Great Escape". So, there you have it, "The Great Escape" sounds like a film lolol. anyway, thank you for your responses and if you think of anything else to add ..... please do ....
Thank you very much ...

Kieran

#6 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

H all
Well, I am back and getting ready to go to Crete again this year. the plan is to fly to Hania and use it as a base. So, here is the nub. Advice on where to stay and beaches and things to do in the area is sought from you all .. We will be going from June 23th for two weeks.
we when last year to Piscopiano and the year before Agai Galini and enjoyed both but as always looking to do and go to different places. We do self catering and sometimes hire a car. And use the bus a lot. We try to go to a place of interest every day and beach in the afternoons.
So, any advice and recommendations are most welcome..

Kieran

#7 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hi. Aardigman, glad you're coming back to Crete this year.  I am biased as we live near there, but Kalyves could be a good base.  It has a lovely beach, several good tavernas and bars plus reasonable bus connections to Chania and Rethymnon.  If you hire a car, there's the roman ruins at Aptera with an excellent taverna in the village, plus Lake Kourna where you could hire a pedalo to see the turtles in the lake with again good tavernas on the lakeside. There's also Argiropouli (ancient Lappa) for a gentle walk round the old town and then lunch at the springs at the bottom of the village - lovely to go to when it's very hot (as it will be in early July) as it's always cool there. PM me if you'd like specific recommendations on accommodation - we know a good set of apartments right on the beach where we stayed a few times before moving out here.

Pam

#8 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hi Pam
Thank you for your suggestions regarding Kalyves, Apyera, Lake Lourna and Argiropouli. You have really opened my eyes here. Kalyves really looks great and the fact that it lies between Chania and Rethymnon is also a big plus. I would be very intested in more recommendations. And I would be very interested in your recommendation on accomadation.
You can never beat insider knowledge.
Again thank you Pam for the information. I am having a great time at the moment looking up the places and plotting and planing the holiday. I will be bringing my camera and looking forward to all the photo opertunities that I will get..

Best regards
Kieran

#9 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi, Kieran, glad you like the sound of Kalyves - one of the good things about it is that it is a working Greek town as well as a holiday resort and mostly the beach is sheltered from the wind, especially at the harbour end.  You could also look at Almyrida, but that isn't so convenient for buses etc. or Georgiopoulis, which a lot of people like, but the beach there is open to the wind.  Whichever you choose, hope we can meet up at some time.  I've sent you a PM with a recommendation for accommodation .

Pam & Bob

#10 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

hi Pam
I have been trying to get through to you by PM .... and not sure if it went. I do not know how to set up Pm here and replied aand really do not know if I messed up or what.
please let me know how I did lol

Kieran

#11 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Yes, got your PM and will respond - sorry it's been a couple of days but we've been a bit busy in garden while we had some good weather.

Pam

#12 Mike and Jane

Mike and Jane

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

We liked Kalyves, and stayed there or Almyrida for several year's holidays, as Pam well knows. We have now settled on Agioi Apostoli, mostly due to the excellent public transport links, which mean that we have not needed to hire a car since 2009. If you are going to base yourself in the Chania area, as well as Pam's recommendations we can add a few:

Drive up Theriso Gorge visit birthplace of Eleftherios Venizelos, o.k.village not spectacular but pleasant enough but the gorge very scenic, and cool on hot day.

Enjoy evening in Chania once the heat of the day has eased off.

Join the throng at Elafonissi. Hopefully they will have reopened the road through Topolia Gorge by next summer, (it should have been done by the end of last summer) and you can stop at the cantina overlooking the gorge, and climb to the Aghia Sofia cave after going through the tunnel, on the way to Elafonissi.

Drive up to the tourist pavilion at Omalos and have lunch overlooking Xiloskala entrance to Samaria gorge. Then drive on to Sougia for a swim and more refreshment. If you feel keen you can take look at the gorge which starts behind the harbour, and starts the path to Lissos. The walk to Lissos and back is a whole day out and can be very hot and tiring in mid summer.

Keep Saturday morning clear for visit to farmer's street market on Odos Minoos in Chania to pick up your fresh fruit , vegetables, local wine and Tsikoudia (Raki).

Just a few suggestions to start, have a great time.  

#13 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Mike and Jane 

I am sorry I did not respond sooner but I wanted everything signed sealed and delivered. I was a little afraid something would go wrong somewhere. Anyway, as I said we are ready and rearing to go. I am delighted with your recommendations, it is always good to hear other peoples ideas.

We have been to Elafonissi for a two day stop over a few years ago, and am researching your other ideas. As it is we will be staying in Kato Daratso for 4 nights and traveling to Kalyves after that.

We are not sure about hiring a car but if we did it would probably be in the middle of our kalyves stay. if the buses are good from kalyves we will use them to the max. we have two issues now to sort and thats the trip from the airport at 8 in the evening to Chania. we are thinking of a shuttle bus and probably a taxi or walk the 2 kilometers to Kato Daratso. and the other problem will be from Kato Daratso to Kalyvas,  other then that we are all set. 

one thing I did notice that there are plenty of places to go to within walking distance and indeed by car. 

We have hired cars several times over the years but it can be a hair raising experience, however, without a car there are some places you would not see if you were inclined. 

Again Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations 

Best regards 

Fil and Kieran 

#14 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

12 weeks to Crete, yippee

#15 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

11 weeks to Crete mmmmm 

#16 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hi All

Well, as you see from the above we have 11 weeks to go for Crete. Since we will be going to Kalyves and are hoping to hire a car, maybe someone might know if there is a reliable car hire company in Kalyves. To book over the internet is seems to be very expensive and, well, I do like to see what I get before signing up.

Many thanks

Kieran

#17 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hi, Kieran Auto Club in Kalyves has a good reputation, though we have no personal experience (we have our own car here).  However, July will be quite busy so you would be wise to book in advance.  A friend of ours worked there last season, so will see if we can talk to him over the next few days.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you in July.

Pam

#18 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thank you that Pam, I have checked Auto Club and seems to be very good. and the fact that it is in Kalyves is a plus. one other question if I may, Do you know if the bus will be runing from Chania airport to Chania at 10 iin the evenings or better again to Kato Daratso? A taxi would be very expensive and I am currently exploring to see if there is a shuttle bus, a bus or shuttle bus to Kato Daratso would be the best option, but i realise thay may not run at 10 in the evenings. I would appreciate any info or links. you have been so helpful and i really appreciate it. You must be thinking I am a pest at this stage.
we certainly will meet up, i

very best regards

Kieran

#19 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi, Kieran, not sure how late the buses run from the airport, but will check.  Have you figured out yet how to get to Kalyves from Kato Daratso?  I know there is a bus from Chania that arrives in the plateia about 2pm ( we often see it coming through when we're sitting there with friends at that time).  Anyway, looking forward to seeing you in July.

Pam

#20 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi Pam Well, I got sorted regarding getting from the airport to Kato Daratso. I emailed the apartment owners and got a full description of how to get there. (Two buses on to Chaia change bus stations and get an other one.). I also contacted Auto Club regarding the hiring of a car and got a very quick response but will not do that until i get there. I would like to have the freedom to hire whenever we wanted and not be fixed at this stage. And, as for getting from Kato Daratso to Kalyves I imagine we will be able to sort that out when we are there. I suppose the real issue was travelling  from the airport late in the evening and not knowing where to go.  You have been a great help and thank you for that. It is very much appreciated. Well,, 8 weeks from today. roll on. 

Best regards 

Kieran