#21 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Arthur,
Thanks for that googled it and it even shows up on the crete map and of course stupid me it is actually called Mike's hotel !!!! Hopefully be there on the 18th any idea what time ?

Roy

#22 arthur roper

arthur roper

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Roy

Normally Thursday (19th) AT 11am. Will let you know if we advised otherwise.

Cheers

Arthur

#23 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

My understanding about the wreaths is exactly as Arthur says- - as are the directions to Mikes. You will be able to identify the wreath laying organiser and be briefed without a problem, just head up to the memorial area before the start of proceedings.
The meeting at MIkes, just for info of non- members who may not know what it is about, is a Crete Veterans and Friends meeting to sort out the veterans program basically - but I don't expect there will be a problem with non members attending to pick up info and make new friends.
If as has been the case in other years, it is likely that a small number of events will be for veterans only - some meals usually. Friends like Arthur and I, and others will have to find other entertainment whilst our Greek hosts focus their attention on those who really matter, our veterans.
If this sounds a bit unfriendly I apologise, it isn't supposed to be, just a heads up for those who may not be familiar with the events. I am sure there will be a great number of old friends to be caught up with, and new friends made, between all involved.

#24 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Tim,
Thanks for that not a Crete veteran myself just an ex RAF Regt Cpl(66-75) who joined our association and ended up chairman of the Lincolnshire branch. The obvious connection as was mentioned before is the formation of the RAF Regiment the year following the loss of the airfields on Crete. A holiday to Malame 2 years ago and a delve into the history and the location of the battles was a must and I have been intrigued by events ever since. I look forward to perhaps meeting up with some veterans on the Thursday at Mikes Place.

Regards

Roy Miskelly

#25 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Link below indicates that the Red Arrows will be flying over Chania on the 22nd of May.

http://aerobaticteam...s-schedule.html

#26 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thanks yet again Yorgos for being so on the ball with the info. I think we are exceptionally fortunate to get the display again this year given all that is going on both financially and other commitments.

#27 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hello Guys and Gals!

A newcomer to this fantastic website, but not to Crete.Have been visiting the Island since a young lad, and consequently have had an interest in the battle for just as long! I usually work out my own visits and arrangements and along the way keep my fingers crossed that i may be lucky enough to meet up with veterans. Indeed, my last visit a few years ago brought me into contact with a Fallschirmjaeger veteran Hans Pollman, and 7 NZ veterans,one of which was called Frank Twigg. He, and his collegues were most gracious and invited me to accompany them to a special lunch hosted in the home of the previous owner of "Hill107" (I hope i have my info correct.. :huh: ) Anyway, this year i have been fortunate enough to find this website, and would love to attend some of the events organised instead of "just doing my own thing". However, i'm unsure of how welcome i would be....For what it's worth i'm ex-Royal Navy(89-02) and have worked on 33 Sqdn at one point. ;)

@Ian, good luck on your trip. I would love to do the journey and am infact bringing my walking boots anyway, but, i only have a week, and a wife who likes the poolside too,ha!

Thanks

Manny (Trainor)

#28 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Travis.
I think you will find a welcome practically everywhere. Our veterans in the UK Crete Vetarns and Friends will meet at Mikes on the Wednesday to discuss their program, to decide which events they are able to attend. They will probably be invited to some dinners and other events that are for them alone. (members of the CV&F who are not veterans or spouses/carers will probably not be included either) If any others do attend Mikes, please just note that the main purpose if for the vets to get organised amongst themselves - though you may pick up some hints about what is happening more generally.
Other than those events, past experience suggests everyone is welcome at the ceremonies. Occasionally there may be refreshment available to wider guests, just check would be my suggestion.
I am sure groups of veterans wandering around different venues. taking a beer or whatever in waterside tavernas, will welcome people saying hi. That's how I've met most of them.

I trust that you have seen the link to the programme of events that Arthur posted earlier. They will also be events in the Heraklion and Retymnon prefecture- no details I'm afraid.

PS> You probably know that 30 and 33 Sqd were involved in the BoC.

#29 arthur roper

arthur roper

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hello Travis

I think Tim summed up the week we spend on Crete very well. It is pleasing to note yet another person who wishes to join with us to commemorate the Battle of Crete. I have been in touch with several people who are attending for the first time and I am sure this year, being the 70th Anniversary, will be particularly special. Get yourself to Mikes and be sure of a warm welcome from myself, Tim and many others. I am presently working on an address I will give at the Welch Regiment Memorial at Galatas. Due to being the only person from Wales to attend for the last 4 years, Maureen Moss, our secretary, asked me to take the service! I am scratching my head to think of something to say, but I am getting there! After an absence of several years, a Crete Veteran, Mr D Davies, OBE, MM will be present this year. He will be requested to lay the wreath and recite the exhortation.

Look forward to seeing you at Mike`s.

Arthur Roper

#30 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Tim,Arthur thank you very much for replying to my post! :huh:

I think i'll be going to Mikes then,ha! If i can manage to find the Fallschirmjaeger memorial, i think i can find Mikes! I think there are directions on the thread somewhere,so i shouldn't have a problem.

Like i said previous, i've always done my own thing and have had some great results. But, it would be nice to attend and support some official events this time round. At the squadron,33 at RAF Benson there was a display and details of the squadron during the battle.So, yep was aware of their role there.

Looking forward to meeting you all there!

I'll be the one with an Irish accent,but no red carnation,ha! ;)

Manny

#31 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

RAF Benson and 33 Sqd. I managed an invite there for families day a few years back when I lived in Abingdon before my move to the South West. I remember the exhibition in the hangars.
The other interesting thing you may have picked up (and I may be repeating myself) is that it was in part the loss of Maleme Airfield through inadequate security that gave rise to the RAF Regiment. One or more former members may be around too.

#32 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

Great i look forward to meeting up with you and the rest of the guys!

Incidentally, i now live in the south-west too! :huh:

Also, do you know what events are organised for the Fallschirmjaeger contingent that visit(If any... !)

Manny

#33 arthur roper

arthur roper

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Manny

The Fallschirmjaeger have quite a good representation on Crete. I suspect it is because many of them were generally younger than the Allies. They hold a service at the German War Cemetery, Maleme, on the Sunday afternoon (22nd). For the last three years the UK contingent have been invited to attend the service and have been made very welcome. A small reception is laid on near the entrance to the cemetery. The society lay a wreath at the service. It is not known at what time the Red Arrows will be performing on the Sunday but if mid-day or later, we will be unable to make the service unless it is re-arranged.

Cheers

Arthur

PS You may probably be aware that there is a "dress code" for services adhered to by the Society - shirt ties/jacket/blazer,etc. In the past, some have attended in shorts and T shirts which does little to add to the solemnity of the occasions!

#34 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

Arthur, thanks for that "head's up"!

Being ever respectful, i'd not want to attend/support any service unless i was dressed appropriately, or indeed welcome. So, it may be a case of watching from the sidelines.

Incidentally, it was at the Soldatenfriedhof at Maleme, where i happened upon the 7 NZ veterans and the lone Fj veteran. I happened to be stood outside the cafe when they all turned up. What a fantastic and inspiring meeting that was!! I can still pay my respects without the crowds,easier for me i suppose. :huh:

Manny

#35 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

There is no time shown on the Red Arrows website for their Crete display - but some have suggested it may be in the morning- it's anyone's guess at the moment.
I don't think anyone need worry about need worry about attending any ceremony as such, there is a spirit of peace and reconciliation generally. There is, for example, a memorial near Prevelli dedicated to Peace and Reconciliation as exemplified, and dreamed of by. the late Australian veteran Geoff Edwards.
My recollection of the German cemetery was also of a spirit of peace and reconciliation. In the past Germans representatives have been at Souda Bay or the main event, at other times when it has been quieter when presumably they wished to be more private about showing their respects. There have been a number of meetings between veterans of both sides over the years.
The only time I have ever encountered a display of hatred of Germans was by the grandchildren of some Germans - it was quite a shock to see how much they hated some of their ancestors and their deeds.

#36 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Tim,

A Greek language program that I have indicates the Red Arrows display at 11:30 am on Sunday, 22nd of May, at the old harbour in Chania, following the official liturgical service at the Metropolitan Church of Chania that is scheduled for 10:30. In line with the 2009 Red Arrows display, the best place will be at the Firkas fort at the western end of the old harbour, under the four flags.

#37 nesta

nesta

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Copied from the 'Introduce Yourself' section"

My Dad was with the Royal Marines MNBDO, I think he was at Suda Bay. During the evacuation he was sent back to fight a rear guard. He was taken prisoner on 1st June and sent to Stalag 8b, plus some other camps which I can't remember. I wish I had listened more when he was alive! He did have some amazing stories to tell.

I was holidaying Crete in 1993, stayed in Platanias, when the penny dropped and I realised I could have been treading in his footsteps. I made an attempt to do some research, but the internet wasn't what it was today and I had to rely on books and info from the Royal Marines Museum. When I saw that it was the 70th anniversary this year it rekindled my interest, so I have booked a 7 days stay at Mike's Apartment in Maleme from 17th May. I have taken a look at the programme of events and will definitely attend a couple of those, other than that I have no real plans on what I am going to to do whilst I am there.

It would be great to meet some of you and exchange stories and information.

Nesta :huh:

#38 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi Guys,
Managed to get my wreaths ok from RBL paid for by the Corps as I said before I will lay the RAF Regiment wreath at Suda Bay and the RAF Regiment Association one at the memorial at Malame. Looking forward to meeting up at Mikes just to get the atmosphere and
of course pay tribute to those who paid the supreme sacrifice. Is it Wed or Thu at Mikes I have both dates ?

One downside darn airline has cancelled my flight to Chania and I have to arrive in Heraklion and then face a 160 mile bus trip to get to Malame !

Roy Miskelly
Chairman
Lincs Barnch
RAF Regt Ass

#39 feeleej

feeleej

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

You can download the complete official guide to events (PDF) here

http://www.chania.eu...l...218&lang=en

Regards,

Maggie

#40 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi,
Finally made it to our destination in Malame after a change of flight plan and a 3 hour delay and a long bus trip we are here in Malame. Did not arrive until gone midnight so slept late and I think I have missed the meeting at Mikes or is it tomorrow Thursday can someone confirm please. I am using the pc facilities at our hotel

Many Thanks

Roy Miskelly
RAF Regt Ass.