• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Due to the interest in this subject I have started this thread in the General Section- though interested partiesd may also wish to see what has already been written by various contributors in the "Introduce Yourself" section above.

#2 mike. Vellacott

mike. Vellacott

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi Tim I will be in Mikes in may hope to see you there. and yes we have met a few times

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

Look forward to it mike
Tim

#4 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Scanning through the Greek press regarding the 70th anniversary, it looks like there are significant preparations for many official functions between the 20th and 22nd of May.

The program has not been finalised yet, but reports indicate the presence of the President and the PM of the Hellenic Republic, the Duke of Gloucester, representing the Queen, aboard a British frigate, the Red Arrows will be there, as well as many dignitaries from Australia and new Zealand. They will also be issuing commemorative stamps and a silver euro coin.

The official program has not been released yet but there are a lot of initiatives in many places other than around Chania, including Platanias, Sfakia and Rethymno where many Australians fought.

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Yorgos, This is welcome news as so many have feared that the financial difficulties governments are experiencing might have curtailed this very significant anniversary.Many thanks.

#6 John NZ

John NZ

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the information about the commemorative coins. I f there is a way of pre-ordering I would be interested.

#7 Ian D.

Ian D.

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hi Tim, glad you moved the thread to a more prominent place. Now that Yannis has agreed I would just like to let people know about my planned sponsored walk during the Anniversary commemorations. A colleague and I will be doing a 70th Anniversary memorial walk from Souda Bay to Sfakia on the 27th to 28th of May, "In the footsteps of the allied forces" to pay tribute to those involved in the battle, including civilians, and also raise money for the charity 'Help fo Heroes', which supports injured servicemen/women and their families. I am still looking for any info on the original walk/route taken during the evacuation that contributors can supply, we want to make the walk as accurate as possible but are also interested in the history of the route. For further details and/or if anyone wants to donate, go to www.bmycharity.com/BattleofCreteMemorialWalk2011 . We will be staying in Chania for the memorial period and hope to get to Mike's Hotel to meet the veterans if they don't mind.

Ian D.

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ian,
For your information I have just come across a chapter in George Forty's Battle of Crete headed 'Withdrawal'. There is a map of sorts showing a route Beritiana (Beritania?) , Neo Khorion, Babali Khan, Askifou and The Saucer (Askifou platea?),Imbros and Vitsilokoumos before the switchbacks down to Spakia. I have spelled the place names as they were written, some I recognise others I'd need to look up.
There are also references to some marching for six days and another to making the reverse trip in two days.
As I expected, there is little about the route per se, more about the nature of the track (at most just sufficient for one vehicle to pass, along dry river beds etc) how the rearguard action went and the various privations suffered. You may find it of interest if you can locate a copy.
Tim

#9 Ian D.

Ian D.

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Tim,
Thanks for the info, have got Forty's book (2009 paperback edition) but my copy doesn't have any map, I'll have to check other copies.

Ian

#10 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

I'll try and get around to copying it if you send me a pm with your email address.

#11 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

Attached is an early draft copy of the program relating to the Chania area so there might be changes when the final, official program is finally released.

Attached File  Battle_of_Crete_Program.jpg   599.67KB   43 downloads

#12 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Yorgos, very many thanks for this- even if it may only be an early draft.

#13 kiwimike

kiwimike

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

The official sequence of events on crete this year 2011 as forwarded to me by the crete veterans association of New Zealand ,This could change but i will endeavor to keep it updated for everyone. please keep checking this for an updated version.
many thanks to Mark Wilson in New Zealand for passing on this important information.

Fri 20 May
1000 Flag raising ceremony at Firkas Fort Chania – Also on at the same time is the Australian Ceremony It seems that the Aussie ceremony at Rethymnon will be at the memorial at Stavronmemos (not town as I said) at 1000 hrs.
1900 Ceremony at Galatas village Greek/NZ memorial followed by reception

Sat 21 May
1100 Ceremony at the village of Keriti, Moussouron (Alikianoau)
1800 Ceremony at Suda Bay Cemetery

Sun 22 May
1300 Ceremony at the German Cemetery Maleme
1700 Ceremony and re-enactment at Maleme airfield

If I hear any different from this I will let you know – but at least it is something to plan on.

thanks

mike from http://www.operationmercury.com

#14 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi Mike

The only difference between your programme and that of Yorgos is half an hour on time of the Galatas ceremony on 20th.

I'm not sure you will miss anything at Mikes Hotel (unless its a Kiwi do at Mikes) at the Brits don't arriver until 19th.

I'm sure we will keep an eye open for the lemon squeezer hat- though I'll have to guess how like a squeezer any yellow hats I see are!

Thanks also for the op mercury link.

Tim

#15 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

It has been kindly pointed out to me by LM that a programme of events is now listed on the Chania Prefecture website at http://www.chania.eu use the search facility for Battle of Crete and it is a word file on there. I will try and replicate it here. From a quick look, it seems substantially thye same if not totally the same, as that from Yorgos- so its now official.
Many thanks to all who have helped obtain thgis information

Attached Files

#16 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Gentlemen,
I have been given permission by the RAF Regiment Secretary to represent the Corps at both the Suda Bay cemetery and at the sqaudron memorial near the airfield at Malame. He is looking into the purchase of wreaths on the island rather than me carrying two with me on the flight. Can anyone help with this is there somewhere on the island that we can purchase wreaths made up with the Corps crest.

As I am staying in Malame, arriving on the 17th, I would very much like to attend the meeting at Mike's hotel to get the feel for what will be taking place at both ceremonies. Which hotel is it and what date and time is the meeting to be held.

Many Thanks

Roy Miskelly
Chairman
Lincolnshire Branch
RAF Regiment Association.

#17 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

Roy,
I think that perhaps the best person to respond is Tim, and I'm sure that he will do so as soon as he reads your posting.
I think it unlikely that you would find any florist who would be able to make up a wreath with the Corps crest and would think it more likely that you would be able to find one who would be able to make up a wreath and affix the Crest if you were to supply it. The only problem with this is, that of the time available to the florist to make up a wreath. But this wouldn't be the first (or last time) that I have been wrong...
I haven't been able to get to Crete for any May Commemorations but usually manage to visit Suda/Maleme & Galatas during my summer visits and to pay my respects to the fallen.
Best of luck and have a good trip.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#18 arthur roper

arthur roper

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Roy

I have attended the RAF memorial service for several years. I understand the UK Crete Veterans & Friends obtain their wreaths with appropriate crests from the Royal British Legion. The wreaths available in Crete are not of the traditional"poppy" type with which we are familiar in the UK. Hope to see you at Mikes.

Best wishes

Arthur Roper

#19 ROYMISKELLY

ROYMISKELLY

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Arthur,
It was as I suspected I think I shall have to arrange to get them here in the UK and transport them myself and hopefully they will not charge me excess baggage. I still do not know which hotel is Mikes ?

I shall be at the Ledra apartments just off the main road have stayed there 2 years ago so know my way about a bit did the whole tour last time.

Regards

Roy

#20 arthur roper

arthur roper

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Roy

Directions to Mike`s.

Travelling through Maleme in the direction of Tavronitis Bridge, Mike`s Hotel is on the right hand side as you leave Malame - there is a garage next door to Mikes.

Arthur