#1 Helen83

Helen83

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking about staying in Analipsi in April next year (possibly from the 9th until the 16th). Usually we would take our holiday in the summer, so that we can be sure of the weather and that attractions will be open, but due to work commitments we are having to go earlier.

Will tourist attractions, shops and restaurants be open at this time? And what kind of weather can we expect?

Thank you in advance,
Helen.

#2 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

As you haven't had a reply from anyone who knows the specific situation in Analipsi, I'll try to help. I don't know Analipsi, but I can tell you that early April is very early in the season in all tourist resorts in Crete. The "season" has been starting increasingly later over the last few years, and it never starts before Orthodox Easter, which in 2011 is 24 April. You are unlikely, therefore, to find everything open. There will probably be somewhere to eat and do basic shopping, but you can't expect the place to be in full swing before the tourists arrive.

In early-to-mid April the weather is still unsettled. You could be lucky and have a full week of brilliant warm-but-not-hot sunshine, as I have had on many occasions, or you could get some rain, or a lot of rain. If the sun shines, the air temperatures should be perfect for walking, but if you are anticipating a summer beach holiday they may or may not be warm enough for you to lie in the sun. The sea won't have begun to warm up after winter and will be cold (I've swum in the Libyan Sea in January, and it was warmer than it usually is in April). Evenings will be cool-to-cold: a fleece will be useful.

Summary: whether or not your chosen time is a good time for you to go, weather-wise, really depends on the kind of holiday you want to have. As you say you need to be sure of the weather, and of open attractions, April probably isn't a good time for you to go and you'd be better off going somewhere where you can be sure of those things. But if you are stuck with that week, and only that week, and you want to go to Crete, you could still have a wonderful holiday. April has been my favourite time there for 20 years - but then I go to walk, and I like swimming in cold water.

I hope this is helpful, and that you'll enjoy yourselves.

#3 Kreeta

Kreeta

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

I love this place.
Crete guide in Finnish - http://www.kreetalle.fi