6 replies to this topic

#1 diskin8

diskin8

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

Whats up people names Gav, heading to crete on the 20th of August for my leaving cert holiday for two weeks and just wanted to find out a bit about it and the places to go and not go. You know yourself :)

#2 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums.
Truth is Crete has areas that suit all tastes, do you want disco and beach sports with plenty of choice and noisy night life or a more laid back approach in the quieter parts of Crete. Personaly I prefer exploring the places off the beaten track, spending lazy days on almost deserted beaches and at night dining out with my family at traditional tavernas, in between those two choices we then explore the area by car. We usually stay in self contained apartments.
Whats your choice ?

#3 diskin8

diskin8

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well I'm going with 7 of my friends and were all 18/19 so we''ll be looking for the discos, beach sports and noisy night life approach. :)

#4 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

........inwhich case Malia might suit you and your friends :)

The resort of Malia on the north coast of Crete is renowned as the party capital of the island.
Lively Nightlife & Great Beaches

Malia is about 20 miles east of Heraklion Airport near Hersonissos and Sissi. Malia holidays attract a primarily young and lively crowd looking for sun, sea and sand and plenty of nightlife. The focal point of the bar and club scene on Malia holidays is the long main street that runs down toward the seafront. Here you'll find much of the late night action from modestly priced restaurants to music bars and dance clubs.

The beach at Malia is a nice stretch of sand where you can laze around and rest from the previous night's excitement or take up one of the many water sports available, including water skiing, jet skiing and parasailing. You will also be able to get involved in some of the organised football and volleyball events that take place around the resort.

There's a huge selection of restaurants to choose from on Malia holidays, serving up a variety of international cuisine from Chinese and Indian dishes to the usual fast food burger joints. Heading inland to the older part of Malia you will find the original village of Malia where you can enjoy some traditional Greek tavernas in a somewhat quieter atmosphere than the bouncing seafront bar scene. A good excursion on a Malia holiday is a trip to Heraklion, which gives you the opportunity to escape the hustle and bustle of Malia and see some of the picturesque Venetian architecture of the town.

#5 diskin8

diskin8

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hmm sounds good, our apartments are in somewhere called Piskopiano, there the Mika Villas. I also heard Hersonissos is good for nightlife etc. Also do you know anything about prices of stuff in Crete? Would it be dearer or cheaper than Ireland do you know? Thanks

#6 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Have you looked on the main site at the description? http://www.explorecr...Piskopiano.html

Your apartments are a bit out of Hersonissos so it's likely to be a taxi journey back at night (it'll be walkable in the evening when you're going down but I wouldn't do it at night when you've had a drink as it's easy to get lost, even when you think you know where you're going). I know taxis charge a set amount within an area but don't know what your charge would be as I live in Malia.

If the bars/clubs in Hersonissos are similar to Malia, you will probably find that they'll have drink offers on (2 for 5 euro, some may do more than that) but it will be 'local' beers (Amstel, Mythos)/spirits not your well known brands like Bud, Becks, Smirnoff etc.

#7 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Piskipiano was the base for a very memorable holiday for us but be careful - some souvenirs are expensive, when we stayed there we bought a house in Kritsa! :)
Kritsa Yvonne