3 replies to this topic

#1 fluefisk

fluefisk

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

How do you get to sweetwater beach? I know there is a boat Loutron but I will be coming from Sfakia.

It looks like the road passes close by but are there a path anywhere?

#2 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Passed it many timees on the boat, but unsure how to get there via land. Send harribobs a PM cos he'll know for sure :o

#3 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

To walk from Sfakia start from Stavris Hotel, and go up the steps past village houses until you reach the road. Turn left onto the road, and walk for about 25-30 minutes, past Ilingas hotel and its beach, until you reach the first hairpin bend. The footpath begins there: there is a sign to Sweetwater Beach. You descend sharply on a well-built.spectacular path. Wonderful views of coast and sea - a couple of stretches are challenging for vertigo-sufferers. Before you reach the beach you have to clamber over a huge rock fall. It's well marked with cairns: follow them carefully. If you are fast walkers you'll be at Sweetwater Beach an hour after leaving Sfakia; if you're slower, like me, probably an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half.

If you decide you don't want to walk, there is a boat from Sfakia, at 9.30 am (I think: but check). It returns to Sfakia at 5pm. You could walk one way and take the boat the other way.

#4 Annette

Annette

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

Leaving the beach you could as well walk to Loutro. Maybe it's a bit farer as to Chora Sfakion, but after the first few meters which are a bit steep, you walk a nice easy path, all along the sea. It takes about an hour, and you can get the ferry boat back to Chora Sfakion in Loutro.