1 reply to this topic

#1 Vivienne

Vivienne

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hi everyone. From what I've managed to find on the internet, it looks like the revamped Archaeological Museum still hasn't opened and that the temporary exhibition is so small they have to limit the number of visitors which can lead to long queues to get in. Has anyone been recently to advise on the latest?

We're going in the last week of August and I'd planned to visit the museum in the middle of the day before going on to Knossos late afternoon. It would be good to know how much time I should allow for the queues! :o

Also how long will it take to drive from Iraklio to Knossos?

Thanks!
Vivienne

#2 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

The best times to visit the Museum are first thing in the morning - it opens at 8 - and the last hour before it closes (19.30 - but check). In the middle of the day you'll have to queue to get in (I can't tell you how long; I've never done it, and wouldn't) and when you do get in it will be very crowded - and, as it's August, hot. It would be a pity to put yourself through that when it's easily avoided by getting there before the crowds.

The best time to visit Knossos, in my experience, is late afternoon/early evening. Opening hours are the same as the museum: 8- 19.30. If you go at around 17.30 the crowds will have gone, it will have cooled down, and the evening light can be wonderful.

In between, visit one or two of the other museums, the harbour, the Venetian walls, and the old centre, and have a long lunch. Iraklion is a nice town, underrated, in my opinion, usually rushed through on the way to somewhere else. It repays a little attention.

It takes about half an hour to drive from Iraklion to Knossos, but you can take the local bus (I think it's Number 1) and save yourself the hassle of driving.

I don't think anybody knows when the renovated museum will re-open. When I was there in May, the staff just shook their heads dolefully when I asked. I would guess that, the economic situation being what it is, it will be rather a long time.