#1 Maggieh

Maggieh

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi There

Can anyone advise me if I can pick up the bus to Sitia from Heraklion Airport. I arrive about 13.30. Is the bus stop on the airport or do I have to go into town?

I presume there is no other way of getting a reasonable price transfer to Sitia.

Hoping someone can advise me.

Maggie :rolleyes:

#2 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I don't know how up to date this bus timetable page is, but it might help you!

http://www.bus-servi...e...ine=13&lg=2
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

Yes you can get a bus from the airport but you may need to change at Agios Nikolaos.

The buses are comfortable, reliable and air conditioned plus relatively inexpensive.

It is a little difficult to find the bus stop the first time as it is not visible from the airport.

In the arrivals hall there is an information desk so it will probably be best to ask them to guide you. If there is no one there to ask, leave the airport at the domestic departures end of the airport and cross the road to reach the pavement.

You need to walk down the right hand side of the main road that brings traffic into the airport and the bus stop is on the right.

There is a steep gutter to this road and it fills up with parked cars but they do seem to leave a little gap so that you can see the bus stop sign.
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 Maggieh

Maggieh

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Thank you folks for the info.

Lets hope I get on the right bus!

Maggie

#5 SallynChas

SallynChas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi,there is an express service to Agios Nikolas,but then you only pick up the bus from Heraklion anyway that you catch from the airport.If you stand outside of the departures entrance,back to the terminal,straight ahead and a bit to the left,is a road the other side of the traffic lights,going away from you.The bus stop is about 200 metres on your right,amongst the parked cars.Often you will get asked where you are going by returning taxi drivers,I have known Siteia taxis to charge you around 50 euros for the return fare,which is reasonable.Siteiataxi Giannis tel no.6995-900900,is a good man who speaks perfect English and the Siteia taxis keep in touch with each other for return fares from the airport.Saying that, the bus ride is quite spectacular,especially if you sit on the sea side of the bus,that is the drivers side .

Hope this helps,feel free to ask anything else Sally n Chas

Ps SiteiataxiYianni is on facebook as well,easy to contact.

#6 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

So.....just in case our car hire goes pear shaped the bus times to Agios Nikolaos from Heraklion airport are 1915, 1945, 2030, 2130, and 2230 if ive read the time table correctly :o

#7 Gelis

Gelis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Yes, you've read it correctly as far as getting to Ag Nik is concerned, but if you want to go all the way to Sitia then then the latest one you can get is the 19.15, which becomes the 20.45 Ag Nik to Sitia.

Hope this helps. The bus journey is great!

#8 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Gelis for the confirmation :)

Any info on the current fuel shortages localy in Crete would also be much appreciated :o

#9 Gelis

Gelis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

No petrol in Sitia at the moment, but limited supplies seem to be getting through at the "other end" of Crete, so hope it won't be too long before we get some here.

#10 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the update, we're headed for Angathia after an overnight stop at Agios Nikolaos on the 31/8, we'll give you a wave as we pass through Sitia ......hopefully :)

Latest news is the lorry drivers continue on strike :o

Any updates would be much appreciated :)

#11 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Latest news states the striking lorry drivers have for the time being gone back to work whilst they continue to talk to the government. For locals and tourists alike lets hope this gets resolved withhout further demonstrations and strikes.