#1 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Can anyone advise where I can find the best on-line map of Crete that I can use
in planning a hike through the island? Alternatively, which is the best hand-held
map to purchase?

Thank you.

#2 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

I don't think there is a good one online. there is barely a good paper one. Try the Harms series. They split the island east-west and are based on the German Army's from the war. Best I've found yet.
Sheila

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

Aurelia
I am not aware of any decent online maps sufficient for the purpose you have in mind. Most people I know who have wanted to plan such trips have had a problem getting even paper maps of the detail they would really like.
The Harms Verlag 1:100k used to be amongst the best available.They run a about £12.50 each for ther two covering Crete. SJ stocks them.
Have a look at Stamfords, the map shop for the UK, http://www.stanfords...crete/?pageNo=2 for an idea of what is available. There are some, the Anavasi, that are even better resolution at 1:25k but they only cover certain popular hiking areas.
I'll remind myself of what Christopher Thorne (A quiet walk across Crete) and Christopher Somerville (The Golden Step) and see if there is anything of use there. I will also email you a website site with some maps on it. There are some here of course. http://www.explorecr...crete-maps.html

#4 footscapes

footscapes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

I'm also not aware of any online maps. You might try the Anavasi 1:100000 scale maps of Crete (splits in 3 regions) as an alternative to Harms Verlag. The survey is more recent than HV (and almost certainly more accurate) plus the maps have the benefit of being printed on plasticised paper. (HV are summer use only - the first drop of rain and they self - destruct in true Mission Impossible fashion). You can also get the Anavasi maps digitally as CD Roms. My big criticism of them (Anavasi) is that they are incredibly "busy", with lots of distracting detail. Link here http://www.anavasi.g...start=5&c=&r=11

Paul

#5 hikerroeland

hikerroeland

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

I bought two of the Anavasi Maps last year and I did get them very fast.I order by Anavasi gr.There are very good.
Roeland
Enjoy this beautiful world and always look ahead of you

#6 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:08 AM

Thank you for your kind replies.
aurelia