laura.hughes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone,

Wondering whether someone could help us damsels in distress! :rolleyes:

We are four 18yr old girls looking for a good time BUT not just clubbing and beaches, but some places we could actually visit during the day aswell
We want a place with nightlife (bars, few clubs, restaurants), nice beach, but also somewhere where we can sight-see etc.

Just a bit confused because we want somewhere lively BUT not too lively if you get what i mean

Thinking of going this summer (about early July).

THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE WHO REPLIES TO THIS!!! :D

Laura

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:51 PM

OK, aim for the best of all worlds - go to Hersonnisos on the north coast, 30 mins from the airport.

Great beaches to relax on, Star beach for activities, loads of shops and bars :rolleyes:

Take a bus ride/taxi ride into Malia for a wild night (or two) :D

Take a bus into Heraklion to go to Knossos, and the museum then go back another time for a sophisticated evening - try the Chocolate Cafe ;)

Walk (well you have to burn off those calories) uphill to Kotoulafari or Piskopiano for a meal in a taverna :D

Book a coach trip or jeep safari into the mountains for a day to remember :D

Take a boat trip from Hersonnisos to Sissi (for lunch?) :D

Visist the nudist beach for an allover tan :D

Book again for next year - there is so much to do you need more than one trip :D
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

" Take a bus ride/taxi ride into Malia for a wild night (or two) "

:rolleyes:

I would not suggest Malia ! - It is wild ; true , but much wilder it should be....

:D
András

#4 laura.hughes

laura.hughes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thankyou guys for your responses, really appreciate the depth of your answer!
especially the first one - 30 mins from the airport sounds good because we don't have a lot of money to spare & it sounds great!

Umm...sorry to be fussy but is there still clubs in Hersonnias, because we want quite a few nights out (4 out of 7) :D and dont want to have to travel every night - just because we're on a budget really?

I assume Malia's the top place for a night out so i think we will go there a couple of nights.....because im not very well travelled, i dont really know, i just want to make sure we don't get there and find it too quiet :rolleyes:

what clubs would you recommend?

thanks again, nothing better than getting someone's opinion because all different websites give different opinions :S

#5 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

You can still have the best of both worlds going to Malia. If you stay in the Old Town or a bit further away from Beach Road you can still have the peace & quiet but then you're only a walk away from the numerous pubs and clubs of the main road and beach road. There are some lovely restaurants in the Old Town.

There's also the Palace of Malia going towards Ag Nik. You could take a walk (depending on your walking speed and where you start off from, approx 30-45 mins) down to Malia Palace and on the way back stop at one of the quieter beaches at that end of Malia or go to Malia Slides (if it's open - this season it was only open on some Mondays but I've heard a rumour that one of the holiday companies was in talks about getting it open on more days next season).

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Antero
It is a great place in the mornings! The beach was almost deserted last time I tried it, all those participants of the wilder celebebrations were fast asleep in someones bed - or had been raised from the gutters. There was hardly any of the Club 18-30 club around.
;-)

#7 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Laura, Malia is the drunken Brits place. Probably OK if you're 18. Hellish if you're not.

Heronissos is a half way house and has a lot to do too. 18 or otherwise.

The "big" cities Chania, Rethymnon, Iraklion and Sitia all have areas of youthful mayhem- Gerani, and Georgioupolis, for Chania and Rethymnon, and the towns are nice too. Iraklion I know less well, and Sitia, is much smaller so everything a bit less. Elounda and Ag Nik are the grown up versions of Herionissos- some bits very expensive, but for sure not all.

There are some fabulous places to chill on the beach with a few cafes and tavernas and maybe one or two clubs all along the south coast (were it me at 18, I'd pick one of those, but Not everyone is as boring as I am/was). Most places of any size run day trips on mini buses to the big sites/sights, but you can do it cheaper and, IMHO more fun, by public bus.

Do have a look at Paleochora's web site, before you decide on one of the buzzy places on the north coast.
Sheila