#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

Help!!!
As a lot of you know I have been going to the same village outside of Chania for several years, but now feel a need to see some more of the island...but where to go? To visit anywhere from this village, that I haven't visited is a two hour drive away or more!
I like traditional villages, good tavernas and restaurants and definitely don't want to go to anywhere touristy or where I will bump into drunken northern European slobs!!
Any suggestions for the east of the island?

Thanks and looking forward to the replies.

Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

But Dave you KNOW what I will say <_< :) this link will give you a virtual tour but lets hope we get to meet up one day in the East!

http://www.explorecr.../EN-kritsa.html
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

I think East Crete is more difficult than West (based on one week out there.) I think the mix between small and well served is more difficult to fine. We stayed just outside Palekastro and it wasn't as pretty cute as most of the West Crete villages of tat size, but was well served. Sitia was NOT special.

I think I'd pitch for Makrigialos, but it's a while since I was there, and I suspect it's grown a bit.....
Sheila

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:11 PM

An old acquaintance used to be very fond of Palekastro, others of Sitia. Exact opposite of what Sheila is saying.
I haven't been east for years but did enjoy Zakros and Xerokampos all easily reached from Makrigialos. I suspect the latter has grown in recent years but must surely be far quieter than the traditional tourist spots up t'north and a safer bet.
;-)

#5 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Dave,
If you really like traditional villages and want to be away from the tourists I would recommend you look at the villages of Dafnes and Venerato. Villa Kerasia is 2kms from Venerato & about 4 kms from Dafnes. It's around 20 kms/20 mins drive from Heraklion, just off the Heraklion-Mires main road. Yannis has a couple of articles in the Crete gazette about the ancient olive trees in Venerato. Car hire would be an absolute must. From Villa Kerasia you could also be in Matala in just over the hour, Gortys, Agia Deka & Phaistos are all easily visited from here. Agios Nicholoas, Elounda & Spinalonga are around an hour to an hour & a half drive.
Ther is also some accommodstion in Dafnes at Villa Dafnes.

Obviously, like Yvonne, I'm biased as I have a house in the village of Kerasia, which lies between Villa Kerasia & Venerato. I've been back in the UK just over a week & I had some friends, who live in Crete, come over for a meal one evening. I took them to my local Taverna in Venerato. The bill for 5 of us was €67. This was for 2 plates of fava, 1 village salad, 1 cabbage salad, 1.5 Kgs lamb chops, 2 plates of potatoes, 2-3 kilos of wine, 4 or 5 large bottles of Amstel & 4 cokes. We were also given 3 plates of gliko (spoon deserts) and a couple of flasks of raki. My friends could not believe the bill!!! But this is a traditional working village and not in a tourist area.
If you would like any more info, just ask.

Cheers
Ros.

#6 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yes, we liked Paleokastro where we stayed for a couple of nights a few years ago and Zakros is certainly worth a visit for the ruins. We also stayed in Makrigialos which has a nice little harbour and some good beach bars and tavernas around there. The only thing that put us off just a little bit was overhearing a group of ex-pats discussing property prices in the area! Alternatively, if you don't want to go so far east, Sissi is very pleasant and there's some nice drives around there (and of course Kritsa is a must)

However, I hope you will spend a little time in the west - we should be well settled in Neo Chorio by then and you would be very welcome to come for a barbeque.

Pam & Bob

#7 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Plenty of food for thought in the replies posted. I am going to have a busy few weeks researching the places mentioned. <_< Thanks to you all.
I am thinking of flying into Heraklion and going east for a week and then back to good old Kalyves for the second week., so hopefully we will be able to arrange to meet you Pam & Bob. But you know what they say..the best laid plans of mice and men.......................................Who knows?

Thanks again for the replies so far! :)

Tim,
Hope your recovery is going well and that you wil be able to make it out to Crete before too long.
Dave

#8 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

Dave,
Thanks for your good wishes. Have had first check up back at Bristol and they are happy so far so we can now plan a trip for May!
Tim

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

All sorted guys!
Couldn't get into our usual place in Kalyves so will be staying for one week in Douliana (not too far!) and then travelling over to Sitia and staying a couple of K's outside.
I've looked at all the tourist stuff about the east and now need your personal recommendations as to where to go and what to see. At the moment no.1 is a walk up the Gorge of the Dead, but even as unfit as I am that shouldn't take me a week!!
looking forward to your recommendations.
Dave

#10 SallynChas

SallynChas

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hi Dave W We live in the east,Axladia,lovely village just outside of Siteia.Once past A.Nikolas the tourists get less and less,though in August there are more people around,Greeks coming back to their villages,as with the rest of the Island.There are plenty of lovely beaches,from the deserted to the busy,depending on what you want.From here you have the luxury of 3 coasts,windy North ,very hot South,or quieter East,easy to get away from it all if you want.Siteia is an easy place to be,more of a working town than a tourist resort,whereas Makrigialos is the opposite.Lots of info to be had on here,check out the area on maps,and see what you fancy.If you need to know anything just ask
Sally and Chas

#11 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

You should walk down the gorge to Zakros from Kato Zakros. You need to see the palace there. see the palace at Palekastro too. The monastery at Toplou is worth spending time on. Unless you are off season DON'T go to Vai.
Sheila

#12 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. I think that I am going to enjoy my exploring!

#13 Graeme

Graeme

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

We visited eastern Crete for the first time last year basing ourselves at MIRTOS. We were so pleased with the beaches, the gorges, the local food, and tranquil atmosphere that we've booked 2 weeks at Agathias near to Palekastro for Sept this year which saves us driving up from Mirtos. With the exception of Vai, there are some superb beaches on the Eastern Coast.
You wont be disappointed

DAVE ;)