5 replies to this topic

#1 saramick

saramick

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

Are the rental cars typically not air conditioned? Several have mentioned hot trips in the car and I can't seem to get ahold of the spa tours where we hope to rent the car from. Does anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks!

Sara

#2 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sara,
It depends on which car you've ordered/are ordering. You're often given a choice of different types of car & air conditioning often is only available with the more expensive models. I hired cars on Crete in 2007/8 & opted for a larger, more expensive car, just to get the air conditioning. Unfortunately I only know the hire car firms from the Heraklion area, so I can't help you regarding the Souda area. I suggest you look on line & then you'll get an idea of what cars are available with air conditioning & at what price.

Ros.

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

There are many car hire places for you to choose from, shop around as they will all have 'special offers'. I think you might just find air con on some of the smaller cars too these days. Expect to pay more if you choose to rent from a name that you recognise (I don't, I and friends always use the same man near Heraklion).
You could do worse than email some of the people who advertise on Explore Crete and see what they have to offer. As Roz suggests, do some checking and compare.

#4 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

In 2004 we hired a Nissan Micra and it had air conditioning.

#5 Nick D

Nick D

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

I've booked cars from various firms over the years. Unless it is the most basic model, they should all have a/c now. I haven't travelled through Chania for a while now, but the larger firms operate across the island. I used the 'Just Rental Centre' this Spring - they out-competed my usual firm - it is definitely worth shopping around.

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

I am of the opinion that any hired car should be from a company that has offices quite close to where you are staying. I booked a good deal through the Internet the other year and experienced a nightmare! I won't bore anyone with the details again but my experience can be read on a posting made in June entilted 'So little time so much to see'.
Have a look on the Internet and you may be pleasantly surprised at some of the offers, but remember that the best offers are not always the best deal! If you leave it until you arrive you may find that due to demand the car you want is not available.

Dave.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!