#1 snapperjac

snapperjac

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

Hi there

Been suggested this would be a nice place to stay on the south east coast - we want to be away from the crazyparty scene of the north, but also near to the observatory at Agios Stefanos!

However i've looked on googleearth, and it seems like a really small village. Even though it will be just a base to explore the east coast, i'm wondering if it will be too small to keep us entertained at night. We'd like not to have to eat at the same restaurants each night and some shops to mooch around in the evenings, tavernas to sit outside and drink a cold beer in and watch people going past - we want somewhere traditional without high rise hotel blocks on the sea front, but still bustling places that come alive in the evening! No brit bars, and similar.

Places I have been to that I have liked are naxos, potos in thassos, milos, spetses and poros. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

If Makrigialos looks too small to you, then you should go to Ierapetra. It is a small town of approximately 10,000 people and it is quite lively. I think it is more appropriate as a base to explore the east part of Crete.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 gordy

gordy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

My girlfriend and I went a couple of times in our 20s (6 - 7 years ago), and we throroughly enjoyed the place. There are a number of tavernas that line the sandy beach, and several more down by the harbour. Plenty of fresh fish on offer there. There are a few nice bars along the beach as well, most with good cocktail menus, and not particularly busy, although we were there at the end of June before High season. There are plenty of other nice beaches that you can either walk or drive to - up to an hour away. Sitia in the east is nice for a day out, and the beaches at Xerokampos are quite peaceful. You won't find any loud discos here, and there certainly won't be many club 18-30 types, but there is enough to kepp you entertained for a good couple of weeks.

#4 snapperjac

snapperjac

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for this. Was also considering Sitia now for a place to explore the eastern coast. It's a hard decision!