#1 Fliptape

Fliptape

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hi

Im going to spend the next two weeks on Crete but since my family is comming along i only get two days alone to hike in the mountains and have thought out a nice round-trip in the Lefka Ori mountains.

Ill take the bus from Chania to Omalos and walk straight east from there and turn south, pass the Svourichti refuge and head to the Pachnes peak, and return to the refuge for the night. Next day my plan was to go down the Samaira gorge, but here my problem starts.

I find some information about alternative entrypoints to the Samaria Gorge, from Poria in the east, but on all of the maps i have gotten hold of it dosent show any paths leading down to the gorge from the north-east.

So here is my question im hoping anybody here can help me with.

Is there any way of entering the gorge from the north-east comming from the Svourichti refuge without having to go back to Xisoskalo?

regards from Norway

Ronny H

#2 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

that doesn't sound like a good idea to me, i remember some people dying last year trying to find a 'different' way out of the gorge
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#3 Fliptape

Fliptape

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:08 AM

Finding a new way wasent the plan, but saving a half day of backtracking so i can see more of the mountains was :]

http://www.creteisland.gr/samaria/

Here is the little info i have on alternative routes into the gorge, at the ending on the first part it mentioned other paths from the top and down to the gorge.

Any info on any of these would be great.

#4 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

It's not a good idea.

You sound as though you know the area, so you probably know that the National Park regulations specify that the designated path through the gorge is the only path that should be used. There are other paths, of course, and I believe qualified guides are allowed to use them, but if you are on your own, not with a guide, you are not supposed to use them.

Even if you don't believe that regulations exist for good reasons and should be observed, you should remember that a couple of years ago two tourists strayed from the official path, got lost, and died.

Negotiate an extra day with your family, make your way to Xyloscala, spend the night there, and start down the gorge when it opens at 6, before the first tour buses arrive. You'll have solitude, and you'll be safe.