4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hello to all forum members, Five of us (Us, My Dad and our Daughter and Boyfriend) are coming to Kalives on 30th September for a week. Some of our party may choose to walk the gorge, while we oldies meet them in Agia Roumelli, however this is the question. The last time Mike walked the gorge was in Sept 2006 and there was a big problem with wasps. The same problem existed in Hora Sfakia and Argouropolis. Were we just unlucky or is this normal for this time of year? My daughter is almost phobic about wasps, so if it is a potential problem it would be better not to attempt it.

I hope those who regularly walk the gorge and surrounds will be able to give us some information.

Looking forward to seeing any other forum members in the Kalives area during the first week of October.

Many thanks, Mike & Jane

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Man dies in Crete

Anyone who does go walking should be sure to be well hydrated. take care, folks.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hi,
you will find wasps in any place in Crete, but you don't need to be afraid of them. As long as you are nice to them and you don't scare them, then they won't harm you.
I have been in Samaria gorge many times and I have never noticed a real wasps problem.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

Here is some info on how to avoid being stung.

* Avoid provoking insects whenever possible.
* Avoid rapid, jerky movements around insect hives or nests.
* Avoid perfumes and floral-patterned or dark clothing.
* Use appropriate insect repellants and protective clothing.
* Use caution when eating outdoors, especially with sweetened beverages or in areas around garbage cans, which often attract bees.
* For those who have a serious allergy to insect bites or stings, carry an emergency epinephrine kit (which requires a prescription). Friends and family should be taught how to use it if you have a reaction. Wear a medical ID bracelet.

And if you want to know more about the subject look it up in Wikipedia.

^_^
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Minotaurus

Minotaurus

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

There is water enough in the gorge; but don`t forget mineralsalts or fruits. Small bags of Nescafe from the supermarkets are very helpfull.
On June 18 2008 the first men were died.
Be carefull !!
Kalimera