#21 Aurelia

Aurelia

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Julie,

That walk sounds too glorious to pass up. You gave me information in the past on this walk
and I thank you again for it.

Can you estimate how long it would take to walk
on the precarious part shown in the picture?

And may I ask others who suffer from vertigo if they overcame their fear and did the walk?

My vertigo is pretty bad. I noticed it just a few years ago when I was unable to walk down
a steep pair of steps because there was not a hand railing. I froze. Then a friend offered
his hand and I walked down with no problem.

#22 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi Aurelia

The part of the walk shown in Chris's photo doesn't take long - perhaps five minutes. But as I pointed out, there are other sections that you might find taxing.

The need for a hand to hold is why I suggested you have company for the walk: so the hand will be there if conversation fails to distract you from the drop. I wouldn't attempt the walk alone, at least not the first time.

I guided a young friend by the hand across the scree slope bit several years ago, which as I said is more of a problem than the solid rock cliff path, and she was fine.

#23 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi all,

A good way to prepare yourself on the route is checking GoogleEarth. Anyway better than maps who don't show all the turnings. You can also find nice places to make a stop for whatever.

:lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#24 REFLEX

REFLEX

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

Thats a neat idea, I'm going to actually check that out!

#25 Fliptape

Fliptape

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

I have two days to trekk in the Lefka Ori mountains in late june and have pictured me a route that starts at Omalos, goes straight east more or less then goes south to the Pachnes peak, and here is what im wondering about, is it possible to enter the Samaria Gorge from the eastbound ravine comming from the Mount Pachnes side ?