3 replies to this topic

#1 Completely Crete

Completely Crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

I know today May 1st is the day when the locals go to the hillsides to pick flowers and make wreaths from them to hang over their doors. But does anyone know if they keep the wreaths all year round or do they burn them?

I think I read somewhere that the flowers are burnt on some saint's day or other. Does anyone know which saint, which day etc?

Thanks in anticipation

Alison

#2 pat & pete

pat & pete

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

I think you will find this is a historic celebration which takes place in June called THE FEAST OF KLIDONAS, which maintains an interesting custom of burning the flower wreaths which as you rightly say are made on the 1st of May. Pat & Pete

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi

We were lucky enough to be in Kritsa for mid summer day last year - there was a big festival to burn the wreaths; apparently young virgins used to jump the flames so that if they were to marry that year they would be very fertile. I am aware I only have part of the story but it was a fun evening. Apart from children jumping the flames (what, no 'elf and safety expert to stop them!) the people making the flamboyant leaps were the teenage boys.

Some people were making small fires outside of their houses to burn the flowers and jump the flames but from the look of these ladies it was definitely for old times sake!!

This year we were in Crete on May Day and when I write up my blog I will tell my tale of why I have no May Day flowers outside of my door.
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:40 PM

I love this topics name

dididi-dadada-dididi / dididadi-didadidi-dadada-didada-di-didadi-dididi B)

didada-didi-dada

:lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."