8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

I've just been browsing some other sites about Crete and came across a link to an American forces publication called Stars & Stripes that reports that the US navy test fired several Patriot misslies a couple of weeks ago at the Souda Bay firing range. B) If you want to read it the article you can find it at

http://stripes.com/a...4&article=53722

Hummm, jet fighters buzzing around overhead are one thing but missiles? Anyone know just how far from Souda this firing range is?
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

.....'and the firing was delayed whilst they waited for clearance from air traffic control'.
Perhaps Heraklion might be my first choice airport in the future B)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

Missiles are used to set off potential avalanches in ski resorts. I'm fairly confident nobody has been hit yet. Mind you, these are Americans we're talking about B)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

I am surprised we haven't heard about this from other more usual sources, but then it is not really what you want to hear about from a tourist resort.
What frightens me is that the language used by some participants suggests they see it as a high level computer game - and I cannot help but think that some of these people fail to realise what happens to human beings when they press these buttons on their planes etc.
As you say Dave, Heraklion has never seemed more attractive! Which is a sore point because I should have been on my way there now ;-(

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

Actually, this is not as strange as it seems.

I served with the (Dutch) Royal Air force in Muenster-Handorf, the 1st Group Guided Missiles (1eGGW), during the period '62-'64 (we had some anxious moments during the Cuba crisis) and guess what? Right, we went to Crete to do some real launching. <_<

Posted Image

This is the Nike Hercules missile launched from the Akrotiri Peninsula launching site.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

You may find the following website of interest, reads almost like some resort brochures, I bet lots of military are quite keen to go and let off some "wizz-bangs". Although we have been going to Chania area since 1993, we have never seen anything being launched. I think they spend most of the time at the officer's club at Marathi.
Sorry I forgot to mention:-
1)- Although there are the usual "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" signs all over the area, the site is very clear on Google Earth (at extreme eastern edge of Akrotiri peninsular), and there are nice photos on the website:-

http://www.namfi.gr/main.html

(I tried using the "Insert Link" button but couldn't make it work, even after consulting "Help"

#7 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Obviously it did work!

#8 LemonadeJoe

LemonadeJoe

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hm... wth? Does Cretans worried about possibility of Iranian or N.Korean air strike? Or it is the way ro avoid of overbuuking in hotels?

#9 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

This is nothing new. When I lived in Crete in the 1980s I worked in a bar opposite the Namfi Base at Souda Bay. Some nights it was like a Wild West Saloon in there! But I digress. Every two weeks, batteries of American soldiers came over the Crete to practise their missile firing. They were using old stock and it was purely for practise. I never actually saw it myself but the soldiers in the bar would talk about it and I often heard stories of how things had gone wrong with the faulty missiles. Sometimes the missiles themselves went in the wrong direction and had to be intercepted. Hey, I was young and impressionable, of course it was true! :)