7 replies to this topic

#1 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Has anybody seen or owns a Staffordshire bullterrier, I have only ever seen one in all the places I have been to in Greece and that was in Lefkas. It had its ears spiked, didn't looked nice at all, it is illegal in GB, and so it should be.The staffy didnt looked to pleased aswell, im only asking because i have a staffy called cassie my second one. A good site for Staffy owners is Staffybullterrors.co.uk

Attached Files

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Are you sure that's a Staffy? I didn't think they looked like that. I've seen loads of dogs here in Athens that look similar though- all guard dogs.

Staffy's aren't an illegal breed in the UK either. Probably have to be controlled though.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Yes she is they come in all shapes and sizes have a look at the web site staffybullterrors.co.uk and you will see,cassie was just over one year old then. They fill out as they get older, cassie is not to show standard.

Attached Files

#4 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Ah my error. I misread your message.

I was thinking of the white ones with the long snout.

Will you bring your dog to Crete when you come, or are you just coming for a holiday?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Em,
I think you may have been thinking about an English Bull terrier. Although you mostly see white ones I believe that there are other shades available. In my experience of this breed they are loving dogs. But as with any breed of dog, the animal is only a reflection of the owner. If you train a dog to fight it will, if you train a dog for a specific purpose it will do that for which it is trained. Any dog can 'turn', I remember as a child (Yeah, OK, I can rememer that far back!) that my cousins' soppy old Boxer turned into a snarling nightmare and was eventually found to have an ear infection. But what damage could the dog have done to us children if this had gone untreated?
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#6 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

Just had a quick google for images and you're right Dave. The English Bull terrier is the one I was thinking of.

Have to say that I see loads of dogs here in Athens. Although some are stray, I think many are guard dogs. I'm not sure how they behave at night but during the day they seem very docile and spend their hours asleep or lying around on the pavement. Makes me wonder how much exercise and emotional input they receive.

#7 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Your right Dave, thats true a bout all dogs a quote from a lot of dog owners its never done that before, staffies have had a lot of bad press about attacting people, but its like you say its how they are trained and treated,the best of dogs can flip.Im only holidaying in sept,but i have a piece of land marked out in Piskopiano so perhaps one day

#8 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

The dogs that are chained up in small holdings/olive groves scare me as they seem to come alive with the single intention of attacking you. Thank Heavens for that piece of rope holding them back. Whenever I go for a walk amongst the olive groves I always take a pocketful of dog biscuits with me (i) they distract the dog whilst you run away (ii) if you get hungry they don't taste that bad !. <_<
Usually after a couple of days of passing the same way the dogs are waiting for you and greet you like a long-lost friend with tails wagging (but don't tell the owners!!) as they wait for some biscuits. I feel sorry for these animals as they appear to have only the basic shelter/water during the days and don't appear to be fed on a regular basis.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!