6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

Our daughter & son in law will be arriving at Heraklion airport on june 3rd about 21:30 and will need to arrange for hire car to get to Makrigialos. Can anyone reccomend a firm from personal experience?

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

I can't recommend from personal experience but if you look on the main part of the site, there is info about car hire firms and some of them will arrange pick-up at the airport. I checked prices a couple of weeks ago and some were cheaper so shop around.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for response Emma, we have lots of experiences (mostly good) with car hire around the Chania area, but the last time we were in Makrigialos was 2002 when we used two different firms with quite different experinces.
On this occasion they are going to need total dependability as they will be relying on the car to meet their flights, which is why I thought some personal recommendations might be useful.

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hi,
I use a firm called Just Rental which are based in Hersonnissos. I've used them several times now & they are always at the airport to meet my flight. Occassionaly they're not there when I return the car to the airport, no problem, just park in the car park & leave the keys with the reception hut. I often arrive on a flight arriving after 21.30, I've never had a problem with any firm, there is the odd one or two that will try & charge an extra fee for an arrival after 22.00, Just Rental don't.
This year I'm using them for all my visits & have come to an arrangement with them for a fixed daily rental regardless of duration/season.
I have used other firms, this is my preferred company.
Their website is www.rental-center-crete.com

Ros.

#5 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

You could try Greenways. Based in Rethymnon but they also have an office at Heraklion Airport. I always use them when I go to Crete. I find their cars are always well-maintained. I've done the Heraklion to Makrialos journey myself in one of their Suzuki Vitaras a few years ago. Stella, who's family own the company is a good friend as she always gives great rental rates to all my couples who are over there for their weddings too.

#6 Mike &Jane

Mike &Jane

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thank everyone for your suggestions which, together with others, and our own memories and resarches we will forward to our daughter.

#7 john p

john p

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

We have booked for same journey with Alianthos and have been very impressed with prompt and courteous service so far.