MickMcT

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Just to point you in the direction of:

http://flickr.com/photos/jennyn

Jenny Neal has been photographing the flowers around Paleochora for the last two years and puts them up on her site as soon as she can get them sorted and identified so the site is constantly being updated.

#2 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

some really good photos never been to that area may be next time, has she took a photo of the raki bush yet.every time in crete when we have been the flowers are finished, but you can smell the herbs.

#3 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

I am having some wreaths made to place at the civilian war memorials in Crete. I know the usual remebrance wreaths are make up of poppies but I want to include possibly the |National flower of Crete/Greece. Any ideas ?
Bill Jenkins
Liverpool UK

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

You can click this link to find out about The Flowers Of Crete This link is not commercial :)

The blooming period in Crete starts in January and ends in December as you can see in the calendar.
I shot this one in January.

Posted Image
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Bill
According to a website "theflowerexpert", the national flower of Greece is the Bear's breech (Acanthus mollis). You can see an example at http://en.wikipedia....Acanthus_mollis. I do believe it grows in the UK. I have not found any flower for Crete yet.

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Wim,
perhaps the blooming period ends in May for most flowers, but there are flowers and plants blooming even in Autumn.

Tim,
I have never heard of a national flower of Greece in general, or Crete specifically.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

Changed that one Yannis even until December. Wow

Seems you're back in town?

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."