10 replies to this topic

#1 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

im really enjoying the site its bringing back a lot of memories of my hols in crete, and giving me a lot of info on more places to visit. reading through some of the posts made me laugh at times,and dont some people get a little up set if you dont agree with their comments, had a bit of a read about the battle for crete,we have been to the monastry at pervili and the war memorial on the cliffs with the archbishop and the comando it was very moving to read and see it, and the kourtaliotis gorge was breath taking didnt expect it driving along round a bend there it was.

Attached Files

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

PM (personal message) me if you want to read more about the memorial. This website (Explorecrete) was instrumental in getting the project off the ground when one of our former regular Aussie members was asked by Geoff Edwards if he could help him realise an ambition to have a memorial built "To Peace and Reconciliation" and that member raised it here. After a while the project was taken over by the monastery.
The archbishop figure you mention represents Abbot Lagouvardas who was instrumental in helping Commander 'Skipper' Pool evacuate many men, and some women, from Preveli beach via submarines HMS Torbay and HMS Thrasher. There is more about Thrasher elsewhere on this site. Lagouvadas had to be evacuated himself at one point, it was known that he had helped escaping allied POWs, and his departure ensured the safety of remaining monks at Preveli. He died in Cairo before the end of the war as far as I recall. He was awarded a British honour (OBE ?)
The memorial is a popular spot for visitors - though I do wish they would leave the gates open!
By the by, disagreement with another's opinions are not barred here, so long as it is friendly and respects others rights to hold differering views.

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

There's a very mice Australian memorial in Rethymno with a history of their war effort.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

"Mice" Emma B)

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

whoops!

I was in an internet cafe at that point so I'd like to blame my typo on the sticky keyboard. No sign of mice at all, just some excellent boards around the monument to explain the Australian effort in the defence and retreat from Crete.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

There's a very mice Australian memorial in Rethymn

i thought that was at Rodentkino? :)

*bum-bum*
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#7 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

seen a lot of very big mice in crete was it before the raki or ouzo :)

#8 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Probably AFTER the raki :)

#9 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

thanks tim got the message about preveli memorial

#10 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

about raki wish i could put the photos up of the brewing of raki but they where taken by 35m cam i have no scanner it was in piskopiano

#11 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

Gallery will not work, took photos off 35m photos with digital camera the raki still in piskopiano and family that took us there

Attached Files