7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

I have managed access to the Zorbas Dance clip on my website. It takes place in Stavros Bay, Akrotiri, Crete, Greece.

Check it out:

http://crete.wordpress.com

Ray

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

That's great Ray,

We allready had it on this site, in my music link, but it's such an impressive one that it can't get get enough attention. Maybe you can put the entire movie on your site :D

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

It is rumoured that it is possible to find and download the entire Zorba movie on the Internet - but I'm sure we wouldn't want to do that, as I think this might well not be an entirely legal thing to do. But it is possible.

I still haven't got around to watching the film, but of course we all know this incredible piece of music. Doesn't it just set the short hairs tingling!

Has anybody here read the book, by the great Nikos Kazantzakis? I first saw the film The Last Temptation, and thought it was rather good, so went out the next day and bought the book, which - as is so often the case - was better syill than the film. Should I read his Zorba too?

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for this clip I loved it - I had not seen it before.

I have read 3 Nikos Kazantzakis novels and whilst I had high expectations for Zorba I liked it the least.

The most thought provoking was Christ Recrucified a very topical read in the run up to Easter. I will keep my thoughts about it to myself because as has recently been pointed out Religion and Politics are not good topics for this sort of forum - that said I think everyone who professes to be a practicing Christian should read it and then think hard!

You have just motivated me to get on line and order The Last Temptation.

Meanwhile, if anyone was just going to read one of his books I would suggest Freedom and Death because it IS Crete.
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

saw the film a few years ago Antony Quinn Alan bates in that scene on the beach doing zorba dance and that music,i bet the person who composed the music and the dance never dreamed it would be so popular many years after and years to come.i can hear it now. when we have a nice evening in summer? we sit in the garden put on this greek tape by theodorakis forgot his first name very famous in greece,have a few drinks and think of greece the more drinks the louder the music, got part of the garden like a greek taverner. yamas.

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hi Bondo,

Just to let you never forget his name: Mikis Theodorakis as a link to his site.

And here is a link where you can buy the DVD Amazon.com
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

thanks i will look it up

#8 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

just been on the site very interesting new he was a politician, but not the rest.