Photo

Advice For Holiday In Rethymnon (platanias)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eleni

Eleni

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

Giasas, eimai apo to Skwtia kai mathainw Ellinika yia peripou deka xronia, alla then milaw Ellinika polu kala - n daskala mou einai Ellinida kai we keep talking and laughing too much and don't concentrate on the Greek!

I'm going to Crete in July for 2 weeks with my partner and daughter (age 10) and want to make the most of things because it's the first holiday we've managed to afford since Thassos in 2004!

We're staying at the Appollon Aparthotel in Rethymnon and I'd be really grateful for any local knowledge anyone can offer. I want to spend as much time with Greeks as possible as my Greek is getting so rusty!

Hope someone has some good ideas for me - I'm allergic to organised trips but I'm quite happy with local transport. Is Santorini too far away for a day trip or overnight? I love ferries (sad but true) - or is there another island that's closer?

Sorry, i'll stop rambling now - I'm just too excited about my holiday!

Helen

PS Is there a wine festival in July? Does anyone know the actual dates?

#2 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

Eleni, welcome to the forum!!

I can't help with what to do in Rethymnon because I've only been there once out of season when it was raining so apart from seeing a bit of the harbour where our friends parked the car, the only other thing we saw was the inside of a posh cafe bar that had only recently opened up (Feb 06).

We have been to Santorini for a day trip. It was a very long day though! We were picked up in Malia at about 5.30am and driven to Heraklion port. The journey over was horrendous (can't remember how long it took now), with everyone feeling really ill. We put it down to lack of sleep and not having eaten as the breakfast (included in price) wasn't that great on the ferry. We discovered on the way back that it was actually because one of the stabilisers wasn't working!! Anyway, they showed us the 2 trips you could do: there's one that does the North of the island and one that does the South which includes the archaelogical digs. We wanted to do the South trip but then got told that the only one available was the North because they only run the South trip on certain days (if we'd known that we'd have booked a different day). The tour was good but as with all organised tours you never seem to get enough time to spend in each place! We boarded the ferry and were given dinner (although most of us didn't eat it because the sea was choppier than the way up and even the crew were looking a bit green around the gills)! We got dropped off in Malia at around 1am!

There are the fast ferries that go now which will chop some time off but you'll probably pay a bit more for it. I think you can also fly from Heraklion (and I assume Chania as well). If you can afford it, you might want to look into the overnight/2/3 night stays that some of the travel shops offer. Be warned though Santorini is more expensive than Crete for food/drink/accommodation!

Hope this has made some sense!

Lynn

PS I'm from Glasgow (then moved to Edinburgh for 9 years, Dunfermline for 5 and now in London)!!

#3 Carol Crete

Carol Crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi Eleni,

the wine festival didn't take place last year. It's not sure yet if it will take place this year... B)
I don't know the reason but I heard that maybe we will never have it again...
I liked it but the truth is that the wine didn't have the best quality. So if you love wine, then go to a winery and make a wine tasting. There are some interesting wineries south of Iraklio.

Two years ago there was a fast ferry from Rethymno to Santorini (2.5 hrs) but last year we had again only the normal tourist boat which takes 4 hours or even more (depening on the weather conditions) to go there. This boat goes every Tuesday and Saturday. I would not recommend this to go to Santorini, because it's one of the horrible tourist tours where they take pics from you at 6 in the morning right after entering the ship. You can imagine that these pics are really nice because most of the people are still sleeping at this time. B)
If you really want to go then take a fast ferry from Iraklio and stay one night on the island.

Carol

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi Eleni,

I attended the wine festival at Dafnes last July & had a really good evening. It lasts for around 10 days at the end of June/ beginning of July. The festival doesn't start until late evening & can go on until the early hours of the morning.

Dafnes is about 15 kms south west of Heraklion.

Ros.

#5 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

There's a vinyard at Peza, just south of Knossos where you can do a tour and tastings. They take coach trips for a fee, but we just turned up and did a tasting. They may charge 2 or 3 euros for a tour. Wine wsn't too expensive either but we didn't think it was as good as the wine we tasted.

Mind you, it barely got chance to breathe B)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#6 ellemm

ellemm

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hi Eleni

We have a wee holiday apartment in Misiria on the edge of Rethymnon town. Platanes is a bit further yet from the town but lots of hotels, shops, restaurants and the great beach. Quite touristy but I am sure you'll find that all the restaurants serve traditional food.

The public transport buses are very good, cheap and run regularly into town and back - we use them all the time. Taxis also do a brisk trade to the outlying hotels from the town. Costs us 4 euro for a 2km journey.

The old town and harbour are lovely, there are lots of shops, many of them designer shops but you may just be happy to stay around the area you are in.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

ellemm