#1 Cully

Cully

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:29 AM

Hi All,

I have read a few of the threads on this forum and found them quite interesting and sometimes yes, even enlightening. Particularly the ones about Cretan society and neighbours being overly interested in what you do, tho' it seems that you are at a particular disadvantage if you are a woman. Well perhaps fortunately then in this particular case I find that I am not. My name is Irish as I am but I lived in Canada before getting jammed in the UK for the last 15 years helping to bring up a beautiful daughter. I have children in Canada too and so I saw it as my responsibility to make sure that all the young people knew each other, and managed to see something of each other at least a couple of times a year..

I don't know why the majority of the UK ex-pats left for Crete, but for me it's principally the insane bureaucracy, lack of privacy and the rather gratuitous capitalistic values that drive the tax system - while offering no real hope to the countries young people.

Fortunately all the kids arrived here safely for Christmas as usual, but this time with countless fiancés and girlfriends in tow. As my house is small I rented a much larger one with open fireplaces and a room for everyone - then frantically decorated, installed a huge tree and bought masses of food and gallons of wine just before they arrived.. As they all disappeared to Paris or London over New Year leaving me to put things in order and move everything back to the smaller house, I realised that was the end of an era. Suddenly Crete or somewhere similar beckoned..

My daughter wondered if I’d move to Vancouver to be near my ‘grandchildren?’ An arctic-like trepidation arose slowly up my spine at the awful thought of grand parenting a tiny person, and then maybe gawd even knows perhaps a rash of ‘em would tumble into my life – self-preservation said that if I let that happened I was surely sunk for another 20 years.... and this dear fellow forum members was my sole reason for deciding to move to Crete. I have never been there and had little idea of the practical realities before researching it a little over the last few days. Yet I have convinced myself....

Now I should explain that I am also stoney broke but I have a mate that will lend me the down payment on a place as long as it can show a profit.

Quite a dilemma really, that is until I realised OK, well - tho’ I had planned to maybe just hideaway way out west and do a bit of shepherding, fishing and getting healthy until I was generally forgotten; I actually found a place with an ocean access down by Sitia. The idea would be to build a wooden Japanese-like bridge across the hills and trees, dotted sparsely on both sides by Morrocan tents, Tipis and yurts which could be rented out, with horses and bicycles and whatever else may be in demand 4x4's for example?.

Like most of my unbusiness-like ideas (I work for the NHS...) it's all a bit hair-brained perhaps, but certainly worth a year’s effort and the investment of someone else’s money… If anyone lives around that area of Crete - and the sale does go through, it would certainly be good to meet some fun loving people – I’ll bring all the tea bags u want if you'll teach me some rudimentary Greek around the BBQ, and if you know anything about the more subtle ways to start a business in Crete I'll even stop off at IKEA for you :-)

#2 lshall05

lshall05

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Welcome to the Forum Cully!

Wow, what a big step after just a few days of research!! You put our couple of years of deciding to shame! Well to be fair we were going to go down the route of buying an apartment to rent out that we could use out of season for a few years before moving over. However, that all changed when we went over last March and spoke to several ex-pats who told us the pros and cons of moving. If we'd been able to we'd have moved over in 2007 but some technicalities made us postpone for a year.

One thing that a lot of people will suggest to you is to rent for a couple of years to make sure that you are happy where you are before spending money on property. That's what we are now planning to do before we make any big decisions about buying property. Other people may have other thoughts on that - everyone is different after all!!

We are going to give ourselves 2 years before we decide that we love/hate it. I'm sure that in that time there will be times when we desperately want to take the suitcases down and go 'home' but I'm sure they will be few and far between as we have classed Crete as home for many years now and find it sssoooo difficult to leave now...

#3 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

Yasou Cully.

Sounds like a hell of a plan and I really hope it all works out for you. I'll be sure to call by for a cup of tea ;)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

Welcome Irish,

Quite a decision you made seen in the perspective of never having been to Crete. I hope you will acclimatise soon in your new surroundings. So west- became east-Crete eh?

Which region of Sitia are you going to dwell?

I'll be sure to come by for a raki B)

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

..go for it Cully. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for. Please keep us informed. I do like the idea of the tipis, Moroccan tents and yurts, not so keen on the 4x4's though!!!!!
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Forgive me for being less enthusiastic about your plans but, if you are leaving the UK because of its insane bureaucracy you are in for quite a shock. One of the things about Greece that is legendary is its bureaucracy. I hate to think what forms you will need for Yourts, Tipis and Japenese like bridges - but you can guantantee that you will.
You will also find that Cretans love children whether they are their grandchildren or not so don't expect a child free zone
I don't think your scheme has the proverbial snowball's chance in hell- but if you have a mate daft enough to fund it why not.
I don't know why most people move to Crete, a lot do so because they think it is "like what they saw on the telly". Rather a lot come back rather more quietly than they went out. Those that succeed seem to be those who have done their homework. There will always be exceptions - maybe you will one of them.
Good luck regardless.