#1 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Crete in May with a 2 year old daughter and a 4 year old son. My son in particular is a picky eater to the extreme. As much as I hope that we can get him to try some of the wonderful greek food, I'm trying to be prepared in case he won't. Can somebody tell me if certain foods are available in most greek supermarkets? Things like: cereal (any brand of sweet kids cereal), spaghetti pasta and sauces, ketchup, french fries, breakfast bars or protein bars? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm trying to figure out whether I need to pack a suitcase full of food for him.

Thanks,

Paula

#2 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Where are you travelling to Paula?

You'll probably find some restaurants will prepare a plate of pasta for your son if you ask. It was on most menus I saw. All restaurants serve fries as well, pretty much as standard.

The supermarket in Hersonnisous had pasta, sauces and cereals but I couldn't tell you which varieties. I don't rememebr seeing any cereal bars so maybe it's an idea to pack some of those as they don't take up much space.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

You can find cereal bars in supermarkets in Crete, but I am not sure about protein bars. I don't think I have ever seen such a thing here.
There are many small supermarkets plus a big one in Hersonissos, so you will find everything you want there.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for your answers. We'll be staying in Kamilari on the southern coast (an hour drive from Heraklion). Sounds like if we just make sure to stop at a larger supermarket in Heraklion, we'll be able to find some stuff for him.

I'm really excited about the trip. My husband and I had our honeymoon in Greece 10 years ago and we promised ourselves that we'll come back after we've been married 10 years, that's this May. We never made it to Crete on our previous trip, that's why we chose it now. I always regretted not getting to see Crete. Of course our trip this time around will be quite different since we'll have two little ones with us.

Paula

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

Well firstly congratulations on picking Kamilari as the venue for your holiday. My wife and I spent Xmas 2000 there with Mihalis Nikitakis and his partner Ilse at their Ambeliotisa apartments. We have been back a few times since and love the place.
Don't worry if you miss the supermarket in Heraklion, there is a big one on the right as you come into one of the towns nearer to Kamilari. It is either in Agia Deka or Mires, the former I think but I get confused!!
Mires and Tympaki are both substantial towns that have pretty much everything the Greeks need for their daily lives and more. Like Yannis, I am not sure about protein bars but I am pretty confident everything else you might need will be found not far from Kamilari. Kamilari itself has a couple of small shops in which I would expect to find pasta and perhaps cereals. There was a Pizza place that served pasta as far as I recall, I expect it is still there on the lower edge of the village towards Phaestos. If you get stuck then I am sure plenty of people around will help, certainly Mihalis and Ilse have experience of knowing what young children need- please give them Tim's regards if you see them.
To my mind, Kamilari is one of the best places in Crete, well located for all manner of places to visit, beaches, small towns, archeology etc etc nearby.
Enjoy it.
Tim

#6 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

If you're picking up a hire car at the airport, I would recommend not going any where near Heraklion! Traffic is a nightmare but the road from the airport takes you nicely onto the national routes.

Have a lovely holiday. i hope it brings back many happy memories for you.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#7 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

Ambeliotisa appartments is exactly where we are staying! They sound wonderful. We are planning on hiring a car, Emma (That's my daughter's name btw). I'll try one of the towns Tim mentioned for a supermarket.

#8 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

Paula,

There is a Champion Supermarket (owned by the Carrefour group) just before you enter Mires, it is on the right if you are travelling from Heraklion.
There is also a Lidl's on the left around that area.

Ros.

#9 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Ros, thank you for clarifying that the supermarket is in Mires, Champion is indeed the one I was thinking of.

#10 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

That's good to know Ros, we're actually meeting up with some family there and my sister in law has a boy with severe food allergies and needs to go to a Lidl to get some specialty foods for him.

Paula

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

Have a nice holiday Paula,

After 10 years returning to Crete could almost cause a culture shock. But Kamilari has not changed that much luckily. It's only a 1.8 mile walk to my favourite Komos beach. Don't forget to have a look at the Minoan excavation near the beach and even a nice walk to Agia Triada which is only about 2.5 miles from K. is a possibility.

I bet your son will even eat grass after such a walk ;)

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."