#1 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi all,

We'll be going to Crete for the first two weeks of May. I'm wondering what kind of average temperatures we can expect? I have been to Greece before in May, but at the end of May and not Crete (Island of Paros), we had great beach weather. When I searched temperatures in May for Crete, I'm seeing low 70s (21 celsius), which nice and pleasant but not quite warm enough for the beach. Does anybody have experience with traveling in Crete in early May?

Thanks
Paula

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

A few weeks ago we went to Paleochora (SW Crete) at the end of April/beginning of May, and that was after the snow-winter they had had there. We were very lucky, the weather turned to glorious sunshine the day we arrived, and the bus journeys from Heraklion and Chania to our ultimate destination were fantastic. The sea was warm enough for swimming, but I wouldn't have been snorkelling or reading a book! I took a picture of my wife in the sea, with the still snow-topped White Montains as a scenic backdrop.

#3 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

May in Crete is lovely. I've also sat on the beach looking up at snow-capped mountains. The sea was a bit chilly though. I think it's safe to say you will find the weather mixed. I am sure you will have a lovely time. Where will you be staying? Great weather for exploring if you find you don't have great beach weather. But you never can tell.

#4 Ros21

Ros21

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

I've been to Crete in early in May for the last several years, & will be here at the beginning of May this year. I have never failed to come home without a tan & have always managed to swim in the sea (although it is very cold in the water).
The weather can be a little bit mixed & can be cool of an evening even if you've had glorious sunshine during the day. I've often had to have a blanket on the bed & jumpers/jackets are essential of an evening.
A couple of years ago during my 1st week it was blankets on the bed, jumpers & jackets of an evening & even the tavernas had their heaters on!!! Now the 2nd week, no blankets required, and only a light jumper or jacket needed to walk around outside on occassions.
Having said that don't forget all your summer gear!!!

Have a great time.

Ros.

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

Well Paula not only have you picked one of the best parts of Crete (Kamilari) but also one of the best times in my opinion. I find it warm enough to swim in May, though most locals will not venture in until August! Seriously though, May is often warm enough for many Brits. Many good beaches around there too. Kalamaki just up the road a few k, (and a favourite taverna Avra towards west end of beach) Comos ( naturist opportunities) Matala, all close by.
In May the vegitation is at it's most beautiful - before things get scorched.
I am feeling rather jealous- although I will probably be in Crete in mid/late April but tied up elsewhere.
Tim

#6 Paula

Paula

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hah! May might be warm enough for Britts to swim, but what about Texans? ;) I'm used to swimming 100 F degree weather (38 celsius). I might be brave enough to venture into the water if it's at least 80 or 85 F (27-29). I don't care so much about water temperature, I'll get into some pretty cold water, as long as it's hot enough outside the water. When I was a kid we used to go camping in the mountains in switzerland and swam in the glacier streams. That was cold water!

Paula

#7 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

Hi Paula,

Have been looking for some info about you in your profile or in the "introduce yourself topic". I understand that you are a "Texan"?, and a bit spoiled by the high temperatures of Texas but at the other hand experienced with ice water in Switzerland? Than you should not have too much difficulties with the sea temperature in May. Remember the nice feeling of warming up again?

Well these are the temperatures of Crete:

The above blue text is a link you can click, in case you don't know why it is blue.

Have been swimming in the south of Crete in all seasons; mostly snorkelling because I find swimming a bit boring. In December the water is still 16 degrees which is great for the plasticity of your skin ;) loved it.

But of course you know that Crete is more than just a beach, so if you find it too cold to swim its warm enough to explore.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."