• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

A quick answer to Emma's question re the steps.
I don't come the conclusion that they were concreted post occupation by any scientific means- I just think that having concrete steps at that time would be something of a giveaway as to any covert use. Far better it appear hidden and unused. Having said that, it could be that they were concrete before the occupation so I had better qualify my opinion to not believing they were concreted during the war!

#22 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

Ah, I understand your thinking now, Tim.

You're quite right; newly concreted steps would be a dead give-away that they were upto something.

B)

Can you tell I barely learned any history at school?

:P
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#23 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Know the feeling about history- at school- spent all my time hiding from teachers - that is how I know so much about covert use ;-)

#24 cara

cara

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

Last summer a piece of land (about 4 000 square metres) was for sale just above this cove. The top of the cliff.
If someone is interested...

#25 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm not surprised I was swimming in the cove when the topograph was being done.

John

#26 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

Good morning all. Got up early to do the last minute ironing and packing ready for tomorrow and ended up looking here. Spent 20 minutes or so laughing at the Greek Humour link which I hadn't viewed before - has put me in a good mood now for rest of the day. <_< Anyway.... we're off to the cove again this week and this time I'm going to ask around in the village to see if I can find out more about the steps down through the rock and what the cove was used for etc. If I learn anything new I'll let you know when I get back. Also intend walking through the caves up in Kokkino Chorio (with torches of course) and will let you know what that was like too. B)

#27 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Great Lil.

Lot's of success, a good trip and a great time!

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."