#1 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hi,
Me and my partner are getting married in July 2008 in an art gallery in Aghios nikolaos, i cannot find a picture of the art gallery anywhere. Im sure it will be lovely if anyone has any pics of it i would be greatfull.
Also our wedding party is around 40 guests and we were thinking of hiring out a Taverna for our reception if you can do this, does anyone have any suggestions on a great restaraunt in either Aghios nikolaos of Elounda.
Thanks. B)

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

Maria31,

I live not too far from Ag Nik and will be happy to take some pictures of the art gallery and e-mail them to you. Only one problem, I don't know where the art gallery is! Can you give directions or an address please?

In my opinion, the three best restaurants in Ag Nik, in no particular order, are:

Barcos
La Strada
The 9 Muses.

I don't know if they cater for wedding receptions though.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think the Art Gallery that is used for weddings is in the pedestrian street towards the top end, on the left if you are walking up hill.
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:27 AM

Hi John and Kritsa Yvonne,

Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. I contacted the weddings team who were not any help. They couldnt give me a street name as to where the Art gallery is and they said because the season is over there is no one they can get in touch with. You would think they would be in touch with someone all year round for any queries that need answered.

So thanks again to both of you and I will definitely check those restaurants out.

Maria x B)

#5 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hi Maria

I've sent you a message. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything we can do to help.

All the very best, Caroline B)

#6 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi Caroline,
Thanks so much for your message. It's great to know that you are there if we need any help.
Thanks again to everyone you have been so nice and helpfull.
Maria.x B)

#7 xristos

xristos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

B) Another very good restaurant to consider is the AVRA, it's by the ammoudi beach (opp the dolphin) on the corner. It is owned by a very nice people (kostas papadimitrioiu and his wife). In the last couple of years he has added an upstairs room and patio (ideal for you). tel crete 2841022530.
xristos

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

Still can't help laughing when I see this topics' name on the "General" front page with the topic subscription "help"

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#9 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

You cynic.

B)
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#10 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:46 AM

You mean ironic? B)

:P
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#11 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

I DID mean cynic but had to go check the definition in case I was wrong and look what I found?

[Latin cynicus, Cynic philosopher, from Greek kunikos, from kuōn, kun-, dog; see kwon- in Indo-European roots.]

Word History: A cynic may be pardoned for thinking that this is a dog's life. The Greek word kunikos, from which cynic comes, was originally an adjective meaning "doglike," from kuōn, "dog." The word was probably applied to the Cynic philosophers because of the nickname kuōn given to Diogenes of Sinope, the prototypical Cynic. He is reported to have been seen barking in public, urinating on the leg of a table, and masturbating on the street. The first use of the word recorded in English, in a work published from 1547 to 1564, is in the plural for members of this philosophical sect. In 1596 we find the first instance of cynic meaning "faultfinder," a sense that was to develop into our modern sense. The meaning "faultfinder" came naturally from the behavior of countless Cynics who in their pursuit of virtue pointed out the flaws in others. Such faultfinding could lead quite naturally to the belief associated with cynics of today that selfishness determines human behavior.

Ironic would probably fit your intentions as well though.

Looks like everything really is Greek in origin.

One of us should probably apologise for hijacking the thread. I'm easily distracted and overly curious sometimes.

B)

Maria, I hope you have a lovely wedding and it is everything you could hope for.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#12 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thank you i will check this Restraunt out.
Maria. x

#13 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi wimm, Im so glad my topic made you laugh!!! I still dont see what is so funny with wanting help with planning my Wedding.
Ohh well.

#14 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

It was just the way you wrote it Maria. It sounds a little like you're calling for help so you don't have to get married.

We know this isn't the case. Simply a matter of English being a peculiar language, particularly where punctuation is concerned.

Did you manage to track down the gallery? Sounds like a brilliant place to get married. I know of someone who got married in a museum :o Will make the wedding photos so much more interesting.

#15 maria31

maria31

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:54 AM

Hi Emma,
No i still havn't managed to get any pics of the Gallery but im sure it will be lovely.
I have been to Crete but not to Agnik im really looking forward to it.
Maria
:o

#16 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hi Maria,
Now that you understand my humor and after Emma beeing so kind to reveal my inner side I might as well ask you why you choose my nameday saint to get married when you have never been there :o .

Is there any chance I can temt you to make a change of place?

How about this (my) idyllic place. It's also a saint but than of silence..I know Margaret from the old days (I'm old you know) she is a lovely Francaise, married to Georg Kotzanaki and they have a nice hotel in the river delta overlooking the Messara Kolpa.

It's her job to get people married and as she once told me, they even stayed. Her firm is called Madame Hortense (named after a famous character in a novel called "Alexis Zorbas" written by Nikos Kazantzakis)

Posted Image
Unkown couple, so not me....standing before the hotel pool.

And this is how my place looks like.

Posted Image

Would love to see you change your mind.

:wacko:

#17 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Ag Nik is lovely Maria. The lagoon looks very pretty at night with all the lights in the trees around the edge.
I seem to remember a small park on the hillside which would be nice for photos too.

You should pay scant regard to Wim's claims of being connected to any kind of saint. :o

#18 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Whom was this :wacko: meant for :o

Such a pitty one can't use more icons in a comment. If not I had answered only using them.

:wacko:

#19 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

I think I hit my mark.

Oh! You changed your avatar. Is that glare aimed at me, Wim?

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

Who else you shameless one :wacko:

Thought it was about time to change it. I grew a lot older, lately. No not your fault (don't get vain) but to be honest, I too got bored looking at the same mug every time.