willtam

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hi all

We are back again

been to crete again this year really loved it and again we are in the same position wanting to get the hell out of this country and move to crete but to scared to do so..................... any advice we really dont want to be here this time next yr
is there only tourist work for brits? id love to fulfil my dream of working with animals..........

please contact me with any advice <_<

#2 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi Willtam,

Glad to hear that you had a great holiday here and, with what I read in the papers about the UK today, I am not surprised that you want to live here.

However, living and working here is far different from being on holiday. In fact working here is far different from working in the UK. If you are fluent in Greek, it is possible to get a job outside the tourist industry but you should remember that any vacancies are offered first to relatives, then to friends, then to Greeks and lastly to immigrants. You also need to remember that, whatever the EU rules say, any British qualifications will not be recognised, so that if you are a qualified plumber you will probably end up working as an assistant to a Greek plumber!

Many Cretans struggle to find employment for 12 months of the year. Many work fourteen hours a day, seven days a week from May to October in the tourist industry and during the winter months tend and harvest their olive crop. Jobs which provide all year round employment, like bus drivers and postmen, are highly sought after! The government owned industries, like electricity and telephone companies, as well as banks, will only employ Greek nationals.

What does this leave outside of the tourist industry? Well there are a lot of British/Greek owned estate agents and developers, some would say too many, and you may be able to find employment there or as a builders labourer, although the Albanians seem to have the labouring market sewn up.

You say that you would like to work with animals. You may be able to get a job as a goatherd, provided that the owner does not have an elderly relative who needs a job although I doubt that you would be able to live on the money offered! Perhaps you could get a job with a vet or animal charity, I don't know.

I am sorry if this sounds bleak, but as I said, many Cretans struggle to work for twelve months a year. Perhaps you should come out here for say a month and see if you could get a job?

Personally, if I had to work (I am retired) I would not come to Crete. The weather is too hot, the working hours are too long and the pay is too little! My personal choice would be Vancouver, Canada which is consistantly voted among the top 3 places to live in the world and where employment is easy to find and the standard of living is among to highest in the world.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#3 willtam

willtam

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

i just wana get outa here and not be to far from home............
wish i had money so i didnt have to work...........its my turn for the euro millions this week 88million think that would be enough dont you....mmmmmmm we can dream cant we

how about a internet based 'own company' as we currently doing a online shop selling all things newage and holistic.........fingers crossed that it will take of for us

#4 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

I will happily trade my life for yours - if I could be your age!

If you have an on-line shop selling all things newage and holistic why are you keeping your fingers crossed and doing the lottery, don't the crystals work?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

holistic adj. of or pertaining to holism; focusing on the connection between parts of a whole; dealing with wholeness rather than focusing on its parts or different sides or viewpoints.

F...still had my keyboard set to Greek.

Dear Wiltham

Welcome to the ferry filled with members who want to live and work in Crete.

I could not find your birth date in your members profile but, as far as I am able to read between the lines, you seem to be (very) young and hence have to wait a long long time before you become a pensionado.

"Retired" wrote an advise that is absolutely correct. Except for the part of the crystals B)

What me wonders though is why you can't export your online shop to Crete. Online shops have no borders and you can manage your website, and hence the delivery of your sold articles, out of a beach chair....

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 willtam

willtam

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

i could but it isnt making me money yet................. im 23 but yeah i wish i could retire hehehe thank you