#1 gjanast

gjanast

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

I am not sure this is the correct place to post this question, however:

My last name is Anast which is shortened from Anastassakis. As I understand it, this name means "resurrection" and the "sak" infix means "from Crete."

I am not at all sure of this, however, and do not speak any Greek.

I am wondering if there is a part of the island, or a village that has an Anastassakis family, or if one would say that one is probably from a certain town if one had that last name?

Anyway, any "Anastassakis" lore or stories or whatever would be of interest to me. I hope it will be a first step to actually see Crete some day.

--gabe

#2 perikleous6

perikleous6

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hi, I know there are families of that name in the Agios Nikolaos area, my childrens doctor had that surname.

Jim & Meg

#3 Manolis

Manolis

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

Hello
At all Crete we have many Anastasakis , try to look at telephone catalog and you go to read that name for long time ...

Chania House Care

#4 gjanast

gjanast

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

Thanks a lot for the answers, I guess I really need to visit in order to try to meet some folks that might be related!

Does anyone know why a family might have received this name? I presume it is a religious name... would it have meant something like the name "Christian" in English, or maybe something like the surname "Church" or "Templeton?"

Oh, and does the "...sak..." in the end of the name refer to Crete? That is what I have been told.

--gabe

#5 perikleous6

perikleous6

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

Hi.....akis is the bit that tells you its a cretan name. Anastasi is "the resurection". My daughter is called Anastasia so she celebrates her name day on Easter Sunday.

Jim & Meg

#6 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

The suffix "akis" is a diminutive which was added to Cretan names during the period of the Turkish occupation. The intention was, presumably, to diminish the Cretans in their own eyes.

#7 gjanast

gjanast

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

Very cool. What is a name day?

...and, yes, I had come across references to Jennifer Aniston. Its interesting, because I have two cousins that actually look like they could be related to her.

There is also a somewhat famous guitar player named Ioannis Anastassakis whose site and music can be found here: http://www.ioannis.org/

Thanks again for the responses. This validates the information I have found, and motivates me to dig deeper! Next I need to locate some actual relatives that are still in Greece...

--gabe

#8 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Name days are a tradition of attaching personal names to each day of the year, and celebrating the association of particular days with those for whom that day is named.

In Greece, name days are celebrated in a similar way to birthdays.

According to the Orthodox Church, every day of the year has been dedicated to the memory of a saint or a martyr from the Holy Bible and Holy Tradition. If someone is named after a saint, then there is a big celebration on his or her name day. Gifts are given, festive meals and desserts are prepared, and special preparations are made for an open house in some parts of Greece. Usually, name days are on the same date, every year. These are the non-floating name days. There are some floating name days, based on the Orthodox holiday calendar, that every year are on a different date.