Jump to content


Old Paper British Driving Licence

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wanderer



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location:Crete

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

I have been living out of the UK for about 7 years now and I still have the British old style paper licence. I finally decided that I must change it to the photocard but when I called the DVLA they said that they were only issued to UK residents I and that I had to exchange my licence for a Greek one.

What I was wondering was whether anyone had successfully used a friends/realtives address in the UK to get a new photocard (i.e. to they ask for any proof of residency)? Or has anyone swapped their UK licence for a Greek one. If so how do you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Ton


    Crete Explorer

  • Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

Fortunatelly in Europe the driving licence is a proof that you are qualified to drive a vehicle and it is not used as an ID like in some other banana republic countries including US. Therefore as long as it is still valid you can use it regardless where you live. In Greece it is generally accepted that you can drive a car with any European valid driving licence. Therefore keep your existing good old paper UK licence and drive with it until it expires or until an official authority tells you that you need to replace it.

#3 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

    Crete Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:48 PM


You can have a UK photocard driving licence. According to the DVLA the address shown (which must be in the UK) has to be "an address through which you are contactable" you do not need to live there. My licence shows our sons address, and was sent by post to that addresss. My son sent it on to me.

I don't like to disagree with Ton but I think (although I may be wrong) that the photo card licence is an "EU" licence issued by the UK. This is why it carries the EU flag with the letters UK in the centre. I was told that the old style paper licence is not valid outside the UK and never has been. This is the reason why up untill recently the AA issued "International Driving Permits", for foreign travel which carried your photograph.

Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.