7 replies to this topic

#1 MikeD

MikeD

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

Could anyone tell me if the peony is grown in Crete.
I understand that most Greek monastries used to grow the plant for medicinal use, does anyone know what it was used to treat, which parts of the plant were used and how it was prepared.

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

Which one do you mean MikeD

And as they mention in the Wikipedia; its root was was used as a treatment for convulsions.

Also look in this article in the 24th April chapter

It seems to me you should "love" this one. And oh MikeD, you could have found these answers to your questions in a simple Google click. But you knew that of course and wanted to read some info from a Cretan botanizer :P

:blink:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 aardigman

aardigman

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

I was thinking the same Wim :blink:

#4 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

I wonder what the next question is going to be?.... does it rain in Crete?

#5 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Only on bad days !!!
Ian

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

Mani,
I can think of a few Cretans, including our webmaster Yannis, who would often regard it as a good day if it rains!
We have just had five weeks of no significant rain in Devon, now fortunately the drought has been broken. I can remember being with Yannis after longer periods of hotter weather in Crete when he would have gladly given anything for a downpour.
Though the reference here was light hearted, I have noticed that many potential residents fail to take into account what it might be like to live in a country where the heat is incessant and after a while becomes debilitating. I used to love the heat, like most tourists, but I cannot take it to the same degree (forgive the pun) these days.
Tim ;-)

#7 MikeD

MikeD

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Wim - the peony I grow are Paeonia lactiflora and Paeonia officinalis. I understand that on Crete you have two native varieties Paeonia parnassica and Paeonia clusii - both protected by the Bern Convention of 1979. Despite the protection I am aware that the two native varieties are declining because of development of coastal areas and because of plant collectors.
The information in Wikipedia is fairly generalised and the information in Nature is three years old. There is always a chance on websites such as these that there is a botanist or keen gardener who is a member and will provide specific information.

Laid Back Lil - no, I do not need information on weather conditions in Crete.

I had thought this forum was about Crete in general and not exclusively about people wanting to live or retire to Crete - perhaps I was wrong.

#8 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

Tim

Yes it was a lighthearted remark.

Glad to see I am not the only one to have the current drought broken in their area.
Ian