4 replies to this topic

#1 braden

braden

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

Well folks after a long 2 year wait, myself and my family will finally be returning to Crete tomorrow morning for 2 weeks. I might not have posted very much on here, but I sure have enjoyed reading all the different posts and information that this site offers everyone.

So a big thanks to everyone involved in running this great site. :wacko:

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hi
Have a really great time and then perhaps make a posting when you get back - Stalis is very popular and there are often questions raised about it so I am sure many people will enjoy the chance to read your opinion/suggestions.
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 braden

braden

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thank You Krista Yvonne

I will let you all know how we get on... :wacko:

#4 braden

braden

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hi everyone/ Kritsa

I’m not very good at putting my holiday experiences into words, but I will give it a go.

My family and I had a wonderful time while in Stalis, we had booked in at the Dionysos Apartments again, as we had previously stayed there before in 2005, and once again we enjoyed our time staying in these apartments and we had no complaints at all.
The Dionysos Apartments are honestly the cleanest apartments that I've ever stayed in while I've been on holiday abroad, and I've been going abroad since 1988.
The owners of this property take great pride and joy and were very friendly to my family, although some people might find the owner (70 year old Dimitrios) a little bit loud and arrogant, but what they need to understand Dimitrios was an ex-General who was in the Greek Army, and this is just the way he is. Once you get to know him you will find he is an absolute gentleman. He asked me to share a bottle of Raki with him one night, and while I was with him and drinking this Cretan firewater and eating small slices of cucumber and artichokes, he told me he liked my family because we never ever complained about anything. I told him we didn’t complain as we had nothing to complain about, this pleased him, but I was only telling him the truth. He then said if I or anyone else had any complaints that we should come to him straight away, and that he would get the problem fixed there and then.
He told me that for some reason most people who have a problem always seem to wait for their Holiday Rep to appear, then they complain to them “this can take a while” said Dimitrios as the Reps are not always there.
The only complaints that I heard during my holiday came from some people who were complaining that they didn’t have enough hot water. (This to me is a joke, these people must realise that this can be a very common problem around Greece)

The resort centre of Stalis is really nice, but I do fear this place could be an Accident waiting to happen, as the quad bikes and cars are very close to shops entrances as the roads are very narrow.
This looks very dangerous to me and I'm definitely sure someone will walk out of a shop one day and will be hit by car or quad bike. If any you go on holiday to Stalis and have kids with you? Please make sure you keep them very close beside you and watch them at all times, as some of these idiots on quads bikes and in cars think they are on a race track. (I think these quads should be banned immediately)

The Restaurants in Stalis are something else, we didn't have a bad meal in any of them, they were all good but I would give 10/10 to the Golden Beach and the Roma restaurants.
I tried eating something different from the menus every single night during my 2 week holiday and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every single meal.

The weather was excellent during our stay from 1st May- 15th May. We only had one cloudy day during our two week holiday. This was a good time of the year for our family to go on holiday as the weather was nice but not too hot for my kids.
When we arrived at our resort (Stalis) we found that most of shops and restaurants were just opening up for the start of the season. This is just the way I like it, as you can get a better chance to talk and get to know the locals, as they seem to have more time on their hands.

Stalis is lot quieter than its two neighbouring resorts of Hersonnissos of and Malia, these two neighbouring resorts would be much more suitable for younger people who want to party all the time.
I would definitely avoid these two resorts in the high summer, especially if you’re looking for a quieter type of holiday.
Stalis itself is a very beautiful place and you will find it’s ideally located if you want to hire a car and explore other places on the East side of Crete.
Overall my family and I had a wonderful time, and we wouldn't hesitate to book up again, but as everyone on here knows that Crete is a lovely place with so much more to offer, so on my next visit I will be going to the West side of the island.

Anyway I’ve gave it my best shot at writing my holiday thoughts, so if anyone has any other questions about the resort of Stalis? Let me know I will try and give you an answer.

Braden

Before I go, I have a Question:

For any Greeks out there, every time I go to Greece I always hear how much Greek men love their Raki? If this is true? Why do they give it away free at every opportunity? :huh:

#5 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

HI Braden,
It was great to read your account of your family vacation. Thank you for sharing it! I can say that in my 3 times to Crete, i have never been to Stalis but it sounds wonderful.

As for the Raki, Greeks love 'parea' (company of friends). A stranger can easily become an immediate friend. I think this is what attracts a number of visitors to Crete and many of them return again and again! It's the people! They are genuinely kind and many will offer you their last drop of Raki. When you live on such a special and magical island like Crete, why wouldn't you be happy and want to share your Raki?

Cheers!