#1 roumen68

roumen68

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hello friends,

I will apreciate all the tips and advises, that you would give me.
So, I live in Bulgaria, near Varna at the Black Sea coast. I have the idea to go to Crete in the end of May for a week or so. And by my car. Which means driving about 1300 km to Piraeus and then to catch the Anek ferry to Chania. I intent to stay at some apartment, a self catering type. I will be with my g/f and her 3 years old daughter.
I have some questions, to which seems only local people can answer me.
- In the end of May (still not the strong season) usually are there available ferry tickets at Piraeus let's say 2-3 hours before the ferry departure? Or it is a must to book and pay in advance the tickets?
- How is to travel at the economy class. Are the seats enogh good for sleep? How this will work with a small child? Or I have to take a cabin?
- What is the weather like at that time? Enough warm for the beach and sea bathing? Shall I have to order the apartment with air conditioner, or it is not necessary?

I thank you in advance for all the tips and avdices you can give me for the travel and the stay in Crete! <_<

#2 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

Can't answer your questions on the ferries, but we have been to Crete in May for the last 2 years and it certainly should be warm enough for beach and swimming, though the water may still be a bit cold. In fact last year the second week turned almost too hot for comfort during the day, but we didn't feel any need for air-conditioning.

Have you decided what part of the island to go to? I'm biased, but I would recommend the south of the island, Matala or Agia Galini, if your're interestd in Archaology there's Phaestos and Agia Triadha, plus Gortys and for swimming there's a lovely beach in Matala - don't know about Agia Galini as we've not been there yet, but certainly intend to this year.

Do let us know what you decide.

Pam & Bob

#3 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Never had problems with the weather in Late May.
Ian

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

Roumen,
in late May there must be enough tickets and not so many passengers yet, so I think you don't need to book in advance. Besides, there are more than one ferry companies travelling to Chania, so your chances are even bigger.
Since you will have a little child with you, I think it will be better to book a cabin instead of the economy class chairs. I have never travelled this way with the new ships, so I cannot say how comfortable they are, but a cabin has definitely more advantages. The only drawback is the increased price. You may get a better price though if you book the return trip as well, instead of one-way.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 roumen68

roumen68

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Thank you everybody for your advices!

@Pam & Bob, for the moment I choosed the hotel Paradeisos Apartments in Stavros village, at Akrotiri, not far from the Chania Airport. http://www.thehotel....e_front=english
Seems enough spacious 2 bedroom apartments with equiped kitchens (large fridges!), swimming pool, pretty garden and only 45 Euros per night with the A/C. As a budget traveller the price is also important for me. I think to stay 7 to 9 nights.
As I'll be with my car - I'll try to explore the whole Crete and to visit most of the sightseeings. The archeology is not my strong side, but of course I'll visit the places that you suggested, so I thank you :)
As Crete is said to be the cradle of the European civilization - every ancient stone will be interesting for me.
I would like to try a pass of the Samaria Gorge, but being with a small kid - probably will just approach the entrance to have a look.

@Ian, as I red few reviews - indeed May and October seems to be the best months for visiting Crete and for "oudoor activities".

@Yannis, thank you too!
As the ferry voyage will be a part of the pleasure - I will take cabins. It is pitty, that the travel will be at night time, as I wanted to see how the "open sea" looks like.

How is the driving in Crete? Left steering, or right steering like in the UK? I have heard some bad reviews about the driving habits there, but I''ll be a bit more carefull :)

Are there any big hypermarkets in Chania area? Some years ago I've been in Cyprus and most of the supermarkets there were "garage" sized.