#1 crete

crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hello all. :lol:

I am looking for information on the best route to travel from the Prague, Czech Republic to Chania, Crete by car.
I am looking at maybe going via Italy, but that involves 3 ferries and 1200 Km. The other option, 2000Km, is to go by road via Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia and Greece into Athens, then on a ferry.

I am not sure about travelling through the two countries before Greece??

Does anyone have knowledge or can suggest a better/cheaper/quicker/easier way.

Thanks in advance..

#2 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I highly recommend going via Italy. U will use only two ferries (Ancona to Patras and then Pireaus to Hania) Why 3 ferries? It will be much more comfortable trip for u but it will be more expensive . U have to account for Itallian highway toll fees+petrol+ferry fee. If u go deck on the ferries instead of taking a cabin u will save a lot. Info about ferries u may find on: www.minoan.gr and www.anek.gr
It will take u 3days one way to reach Hania via Italy from Prague.
Going the other way will certainly be cheaper but can be adventourous. Good luck!

#3 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hiya,

exciting plans :lol:

I am Czech and some 7 years ago did a similar journey with my then partner, who was English and an EEE (Eastern Europe Enthusiast). The difference was we went via Bulgaria and Romania. He rather enjoyed the absurdity of it, I hated it especially in Romania, whose dirty, bedraggled grey cities personified the worst of the worst of my communist childhood... But the countryside was often beautiful and archaic. Still, it was in these two countries where we ended up being severely delayed due to their heavily guarded and bureaucratic border procedures.. I wouldn't want to do that trip again. But I enjoyed very much driving down through Greece, we stopped at Meteora, beautiful.

Still, I wouldn't worry AT ALL about Hungaria, which is a very civilized, to some extent westernized and pretty country - all went well there. Slovakia the same. Don't know anything about Serbia/Macedonia though.

This trip should work out cheaper and kind of more exotic, you might see unusual sites and meet nice people..Actually, this reminds me - there is a bit more of a risk in Eastern Europe of being broken into a car or even having it stolen. Perhaps you need to check this out with an insurance company, I don't remember what we did.

Our journey definitely took longer than 3 days! I don't remember much anymore but with the delay and it being a longer detour anyway than what you are considering, it could have been anything between 5-6 days. And we didn't loll around too much...

Also, when are you going? Masses of Eastern Europeans head down to the sea in the summer on the road as its cheaper than flying, so there is also more possibilities of accidents, tired drivers etc, jams... But I don't want to put you off, all in all it could be a good journey, ask more advice, I only remember the nontechnical bits :)

#4 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

With Bulgaria and Romania members of the EU now, the bureaucracy on the borders should be gone. That sounds like it was a fun route Hana, I might try it in reverse for a summer holiday :lol:

#5 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Although nothing could beat the excitement of our first road trip to Crete we feel strangely satisfied by being able to say it has become less exciting each time as our confidence in the route, hotels and ferry ports has grown.

http://members.explo...mp;showentry=50

We have thought about doing the trip via the Balkans but the key thing that puts us off is just how easy it is using the Euro all the way (even in Switzerland)

We will be very interested in reading about your road trip "the other way" if you decide to go ahead.

Have fun!
Kritsa Yvonne

#6 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

[With Bulgaria and Romania members of the EU now, the bureaucracy on the borders should be gone. That sounds like it was a fun route Hana, I might try it in reverse for a summer holiday ]

Assim, good point, I forgot about the EU bit :lol: Yes, that should help. Mind you, my country wasn't in the EU at that time either but the border control was nothing like that! Lets hope things are better there now..

Yes, I would call it fun route, especially in THAT kind of a way... There was lots of interesting things to see, especially had we not hurried (we had an appointment on Crete with others) we could have stopped and explored those areas a bit more. Oh and the fun national foods to eat - ie those Hungarian Goulash type sausages, hmmmm

If you do the reverse journey, have a good one and let us know!!

I'll be also curious to read about jonesnewton's trip :)

Yvonne, when I get a minute, I will read your blog, too, it sounds great!

#7 crete

crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hi All,
thank you for your replies.. :)

I am planning to go in May and return in Oct, so hopefully there will not to many holiday makers kicking around :lol:

The other option, 2000Km, is to go by road via Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia and Greece into Athens, then on a ferry.
I have looked at the map again and it does not seem possible to go via Bulgaria and Romania, well without adding extra KM's and going on non main roads?
I assumed you can go E75 all the way down?
With this route through Serbia, Macedonia, I am wondering about customs, police, theft, break-ins, etc

I would like to look at all possibilties of making this trip, though I think I would want to do it as quick as possible, also with the minimum of cost and with just a few stop overs..

To go via Italy, I have done a quick calculation and it seems it is approx 1400KM by road and 2 ferries, like Ton said and by road to Athens just under 2000KM and just 1 ferry!!
I will have to look at the costs and the time it takes?

Lets see what time will bring?

#8 Wally

Wally

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi Jonesnewton,

I’m thinking of similar rout.

From Warsaw to Chania.

I found www.viamichelin.com very helpful in planning.
It even computes your expenses for gasoline and toll.

Have a look.

As Ton suggested, way:
  • Prague/Warsaw to Ancona by car
  • Ancona to Patras by ferry
  • Patras to Pireaus by car
  • Pireaus to Chania/Heraklion by ferry
seems best to me.

But all I can think of, because of work, is 2-3 weeks long holidays. If any :lol:
So probably we will end up with plain as always…

Any way, staying in Crete from May till October sounds great.

Wish you all the best. Let us know, what rout you decided to chose.

W.

#9 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hi crete!

ooops...you confused me there, you shapeshifted your identity from Jonesnewton :lol:

Yes, your right, via Bulgaria and Romania its a detour, but that was on purpose, I told you my partner was an EEE and wanted to see those places.

Thats all I wanted to say.....

Will be interested to hear about those cost comparisons, too.

Good luck with it all - and yes, its sounds fabulous to have a whole summer in Crete!!!!!!! You lucky one!

#10 crete

crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hello all,
I am still thinking about this route, but probably will go via Serbia, Macedonia.
My next question is I would like to bring 'drinks' from Czech Republic for my personel use over the time I will be in Crete.
Do the customs do checks or searches in the last 2 countries.. (Serbia, Macedonia)??

#11 crete

crete

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hello. :(

Well I have decided on a different route,, now going from Prague to Venice - 10 hour drive, ferry from there to Patras - 28 hours, then drive to Pireaus - 3 hours, then ferry to Heraklion - 9 hours.
I prefer to do it this way after alot of research and costings as I don't fancy driving for to long, only 1,000 KM's total, rather than going down to Ancona, so this option is easier, for me anyhow, but longer in time and just a little more expensive!!
A small price to pay to be able to sit back and relax on the ferry.
And my Peugeot is 7 years old and needs nursing :huh: :lol:
It will cost me 248 Euro's for both ferries, 1 car and 1 person on deck, plus I have calculated around 100 Euro's in fuel.

The ferry site is here.. >> http://paleologos.fo...pgres.exe?PM=BM

I just need to find accommodation in Heraklion or around for one night for me, 22/05/07 and another night for me, my wife and 1 year old son on 23/05/07 somewhere around Heraklion Airport area, as this is where I will be meeting my family.
Also any info on accommodation in Patras or on route to Pireaus, 20/05/07 for one night?

Any info regarding this trip welcome :blink:

Thanks in advance.