24 replies to this topic

#1 Wally

Wally

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Today, a friend of mine who went home to US for two weeks holydays has brought me ‘The 11th Day’!!!

Have been interested to see it for almost year, so today kids go to sleep a bit earlier :blush:

Let me know if you have seen it and if you liked it.

Looks like going to miss tonight chat :blush:
Again…

#2 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Yes Wally,many of us here have seen this great film.
Makes you realize what really happened all those years ago.
Infact,I gave a copy to a Cretan friend in Elounda in september,seems not many Cretans are aware of it yet.
Both George and his brother were very impressed with the DVD,finding it deeply moving.
So moving infact,they insisted on giving me a very large bottle of Raki!
Fair exchange I think! Steve.B

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Wally,

Received my copy from Archangel and thought it awesome.
If you viewed "Who pays the ferryman" than you'll probably remember a shot that was also used in the 11th Day. Its the part where there is an English soldier is being captured by the "Fallschirm Jäger".

:blush:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

My copy was dispatched from the USA on December 1st 2006 but still has not arrived. The Post Office say that it is probably in Customs and they can 'take months'

My theory is that customs like it so much they are still passing it around and that I must wait until they have all seen it!

John

#5 Wally

Wally

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hi Wim :D :D :D

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen ‘Who pays the ferryman’ series :blush:

But you made me curious about it.

Checked the internet and it’s available on DVD.

Will come back to you when see the movie.

Thx,
W

#6 Wally

Wally

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

… by the way.

Have you seen ‘The 11th Day’ website?

There is a gallery with HUGE number of photos taken during WWII - prior, during and after Battle of Crete.

The biggest collection of war photos from Crete I have ever seen in the internet.

Cause some friends of mine whom I’ve recommended it had problems to get to the gallery, here’s direct link http://www.crete1941.com/gallery.htm

Note, when you display the images, there is ‘up arrow’ available in down-right corner providing current photo description. It makes it even more interesting, when you can find some comments or description.

I have got lots of interesting information there. Really outstanding.

#7 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

HI,

Yes. I have seen the film and it has reminded me of a promise I made several years ago. I promised to return to Crete to play my pipes in tribute to the brave Cretans who once stood up and shouted "NO SURRENDER". Now at 73 years of age I am setting off to Crete to keep that promise. In September 2008 I will try to visit as many civilian memorials as I can. So far on my list are: Panagia, Alikanos, Lakki, Koustogerako, Vattolakkos, Anogia,Archanes, Ano Viannos, Amiras, ato Simmi, Zaros, Vorizia, Amair, Melambes, Vrisses, Gerakari, Ano Meros, Preveli Monastery, Koxari, Asi Gonia, Kallikratis, Chor Sfakia, Myrtos, Kandanos, Floria, Elos, Vathi ...............
I have photos and records but the full picture still has gaps. I DO NOT SEEK NOR WILL I ACCEPT FINANCIAL SPONSORSHIP but practical help will be a greatly appreciated.. Maybe we will meet up on my travels in which case I hope you will join me when I raise my glass to "Absent Friends".
Bill Jenkins
Liverpool UK

#8 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

Bill

here's another from your list

anogia

Posted Image

although you may find the memorial at floria somewhat of a difference

Posted Image

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:21 AM

Chris,

I might be wrong but on the opposite side of the road don't you find the memorial to the civilians of the area who lost their lives ? If I am thinking of the right memorial the ages range from a teenager to a pensioner and they all died within a few days of each other. I think that I have a photo somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and have a look.

Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Dave

now you've said that, i think i remember it, it's next to a taverna isn't it?

i am driving past it in 10 days so i will check it out

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#11 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

Why are men so obsessed with WW2? I just don't get it.

:rolleyes:
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#12 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

emma

i know it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't 'get it' :rolleyes:

but crete is a place that brings a lot of people from all over the world together because of what happened in the past

IMHO there are many sides to it,

genealogy, you want to know about your family

history, we want to know what happened and why

or a combination of both

myself, i record the past and try my best to make it available to those interested

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#13 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hi Emma,

I knew that somewhere along the line I was going to come up against someone like you who feels that people like me are obsesses with war. Not a bit of it. I have involved myself in many projects which help youngsters in this day and age. I spend a lot of time on the streets of Liverpool and meet many young people who ask the same question. They are surprised when I tell them that the very fact that they are able to ask questions is only possible by the sacrifices others have made in the past. Without learning from the past we have no foundation to build a future. In the past there were people like Hitler and Mandela. Good and evil - but without remembering them how can we know of their deeds. I know there are many (and you may want to include yourself )who choose to forget (ignorr) the past and that choice is part of the very freedom won in the past. You have also right to challenge us who feel differently from you but again that right is only through sacrifices of the past.

Bill J
Liverpool

#14 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

I cannot answer for others but my own reasons for being interested in WW2 are many.
Firstly I think that the sacrifice that ordinary people, like you and me, made against a ruthless opponent should not be forgotten. The very fact that we are now able to express comparative freedom of speech is due to the ultimate sacrifice that these ordinary people made and that should/must never be forgotten. That what happened is now history is not disputed but there are people alive who lived through WW2 and we can learn far more from them by listening and talking to them than from books. I have been lucky enough to know several of these people.
Secondly, I am interested in some aspects of the war not all of it. My particular interest is in Crete and what happened to her and her people. I am interested in hearing and learning about the people involved, because it is these people who were thrown into a world of violence that many of them had not experienced previously, many of them had travelled from the other side of the world to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Thirdly, because I am beginning to rant, I am interested in what happened in that war because I am scared that we have not learnt any lessons from it. We are still warmongers and commit atrocities against those who stand against us, whether it be because of religious belief or colour or whatever.
And if I am honest brutally because I am a coward and do not know how I would have reacted if had been involved. Would I have been a partisan/resistance fighter? Would I have been a collaborator? I pray that this is one question I will never, ever have to find out.
As has been said somewhere. We should forgive but we should never forget.
The fact is that we would not be able 'to beat the earth with unfettered foot' if it were not for those who were involved, professional soldiers volunteers, conscripts and civilians.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#15 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

I do understand the reasons why many people are interested in this aspect of history and you're quite right, it is important to learn from past mistakes.

Perhaps given the nature of your interest, I had forgotten that people have many different hobbies. I wouldn't expect everyone to understand the reasons for my interests and the fact of the matter is, I don't have any huge overwhelming passions. That may be to my detriment but it means I just don't quite 'get' the need to talk and discuss all these issues so much. That's not to say you shouldn't and it is interesting to hear some of these stories. Thanks for trying to explain your reasons.

You know Bill, I think I've probably seen you playing in Liverpool, or Merseyside somewhere. Ever played in St Helens or Ormskirk?
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#16 bondopollis

bondopollis

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

ive played in ST Helens and area

#17 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Emma.

Yes you have seen me in St.Helens. When I play my pipes there the people of St.Helens read of my journeys and they are reminded of the men from their home town who lay at rest in far off lands.. In a few years there will be none of us left who lived through WW2 and it will be time to confine the details to the archives. However families will still remember. Families such as those of the two six year olds boys who ran in panic among the bombs and horror of the air raids. One of the boys was from VATHI, Crete and he died there. The other wee lad was dragged from the rubble of his Liverpool home to survive. That wee boy was me.

Had Argyri Stavoulaki lived he would now be my age. Maybe he and I would have met to enjoy retsina in the square at his home in Vathi. As it is I will drink alone when I visit and all I can do is to play a piper's lament in his honour.

You see Emma, history is about real people and not just statistics in the archives of some War Office.

My one regret is that even when we discuss our past conflicts we learn little from them. Did you know that there are over 50,000 dead in one country alone that is not including 'the enemy'. That country is IRAQ . (Two 'world wars') In war there are no victors - only victims.

#18 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hi,
The information on the 'lost' memorial at FLORIA has added another stop on my jouney through Crete. Actually I had considered stopping there until I found that the memorial i was looking for was 'a German one'. Now that I know there is a civiliam memorial across the road near a taverna I will raise a glass to 'absent friends'.

It is very hard work sifting through websites searching for Cretan civilian memorials. Example is ARCHANES. I have two files each containing pages of information on ARCHANES but nothing on the civilian memorial I KNOW is there somewhere. There is a mountain of information on the history of Archanes including details of human sacrifices (Minoan) in the area but little of the sacrifices of WW2. Among the many photos the buildings of Archanes is a tiny one which instinct tells me is the memorial I am looking for but no details of it's location. I have emailed The Mayor of Archanes (second time) and am hoping for a favourable reply.

I have got my route settled now and only have a few loose ends to tie up.
Bill J

#19 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Bill

as Dave rightly pointed out, the civilian memorial is opposite the german one, it's a three panel marble one, i'm afraid i didn't stop there to take any photos ( on the right as you head south)

chris
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#20 poppypiper

poppypiper

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Chris/Chris

Thanks for that. Will post a photo when I get back in October.

Bill