Photo

Driving From Sissi To Red Beach, Matala?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

We're staying in Sissi from 22nd September & wondred how long it will take to drive from Sissi to Red Beach Matala.

We saw Red Beach featured on a Sky program rating it among the Top 10 Nude Beaches in the World!

Looked good & prompted us to book the holiday in Crete, are there any other Nude Beaches we should visit?
Fun loving couple

#2 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi Jenny and Phil,and welcome to Explore Crete!
from Sissi to Heraklion,allow about an hour,then turn inland for Matala.
However,as many on here will tell you,distances and time taken,have thier own rules in Crete,infact the old saying is,ask a Cretan how far somewhere is ,and he,s likely to reply"7 or 8 cigarette,s!"
Another excellent nude beach is at Damnoni near Plakias,but dont bother with Prevelli,its some what spoiled these days.Likewise,the much publicised Via beach,is nice if you like coach loads of people!
We too are in crete from 22nd sep to 6th of October.
Is it your first visit?If so,if you would like,we could maybe meet up,and we can take you to a REAL Cretan taverna for a meal you wont forget!(Not too far from Sissi)
Also,if you travel to Agios Nikolaos on the 28th,there is a free festival by the lake with free entertainment,wine bveer and of course,Raki,and fireworks!
What ever,Hope you have a wonderfull time,Yassou!Steve,B and Rosie

#3 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

I think it is worth mentioning that , as far as I know, you cannot drive to Red Beach but have to walk from Matala. I've attempted it several times but always found it too hot to get there (Englishmen- mid day sun etc!) You shouldn't have the same problem in September though as it will be a less fierce sun. I didn't think the path was particularly clear either, turn left and pass by Two Brothers hotel and keep going I gather - but it looks like there might be quite a climb involved at one point.
Damnoni (east side) , or even better Little Damnoni the next bay east are good, especially the latter. Agree with Steve about Prevelli, last time I bothered to go, the boat staff objected to nudists upsetting their customers (who had all come the easy way)
There are more beaches further east of Plakias where nudism is often found, and it is also practised on the east side of Plakias beach itself, and Suda to the west. Towards Hora Sfakion is the nudist hotel (name escapes me for the moment) and they have use of a beach a little to the east of the place. Rather rocky - but there is a bar that serves food as well.
For a good intro to nudist beaches, look for the beach guide on the home page of Explorecrete and then follow the nudist beach link.
(I might even have a bit of it myself in October!!)

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:57 AM

I was surprised to read that Red Beach, which is actually called Kokini Amos = Red Sand, is considered one of the top 10 nudists' beaches in the world.
I don't know how the other 9 look, but there are far better beaches than this one. One of my favourites is Komos beach (the part of it known as "potamos" = river). It is a few km north of Matala and there is a road to it from inside the village of Pitsidia. At the end of the asphalt road, you will have to turn right and keep driving for 500 m on a dirt road. There are pine trees that offer cool shade during the hot hours of the day and the beach is long and sandy.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Many thanks for your information; it's what makes forums invaluable <_<

Funny how seeing the Red Beach review on Sky prompted us to visit Crete & now it appears we probably won't be visiting Red Beach!

Will certainly be visiting the others recommended; Komo sounds ideal

Kind Regards

Jenny & Phil
Fun loving couple

#6 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

we like red beach for the same reasons Tim doesn't like it <_< , it takes a fair bit of effort to get there (but only ten or so minutes up and the same time down) but it does make it a bit more exclusive. there are no facilities there, so all water food etc must be taken with you.

Posted Image

there are some unusual sites to be seen there

Posted Image
Posted Image

Kommos beach is a different matter, it's an extension of the beach of kalamati, not that easy to get to either but very pleasant

Posted Image

little damnoni or microamoudi is good, too small for my liking, don't confuse it withe large damnoni beach next to it with the hapimag complex

Posted Image

beyond there you have another two good beaches in amoudi and shinaria beach as well
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#7 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

OK OK Chris, You and Mandy are a damn site fitter than I. But I'll probably get there one day- especially if I start before 1200hrs.
<_<

#8 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Actually, Tim I'm with you - Bob and I attempted the walk in May 2005 and found the climb up somewhat arduous (and a lot more than 10 minutes). We couldn't find the way down the other side and then decided that not being mountain goats we didn't fancy clambering down either so started back the way we came. Bob then slipped and ricked his ankle so the way back down was on his backside.

The only alternative then was a quiet afternoon in one of the bars on the front in Matala, so that is what we did. I can tell you that first beer was an "Ice Cold in Alex" moment. <_< :angry:

So, Jenny and Phil, if you do decide to try the Red Beach, don't underestimate the walk and wear sensible shoes!

Pam & Bob

#9 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

:D honestly..it's not that bad, but don't do it in sandals!!

for more complete directions...

heading into town, turn left past the zefira hotel towards the archaeological site, passing the Zwei Bruders and many other small pensions, continue to the end of the track and you'll see the path rise in front of you at the head of a small canyon. follow the snaking path through the rocks, you'll probably have to use your hands once or twice to get up

at the top, follow the path to the right keeping the fence on your left. as you go over the top you can see matala behind you and red beach in front, go through the gate on the left ( and close it after you!!) and follow the paths down to the beach.

the first up section is quite steep and rocky where as the paths down to red beach are less steep but have lots of gravel and loose rocks

the view of Matala from the top is one of my favourite sights

Posted Image
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#10 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

Even an old lady like myself managed to get to Red Beach and considering that I normally always loose my way I recon it cannot be that difficult to find since I got there straight away.

It did take me about two months to get rid of my back pains resulting from the climb... :D

#11 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

eee yer soft buggers! :D

we'll take you up some proper cretan mountains if you want?

Posted Image
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#12 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Amused to see Yannis was suprised at Red Beach being rated one of the worlds best nude beaches!
How about this one Yannis?
The same american made Sky programme,reviewing the worlds best "normal" beaches,also featured a Cretan beach in its "Top Ten".
Any guesses any one?
According to this show,the best beach in Crete is----------------:

Wait for it!------

RETHYMNON!

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

I'm not much of a beach bum but I remeber dearly the beach at the Mount Lavinia Hotel on Sri Lanka.
Must have been the perfect pineaple I was offered by a lovely old woman, so sweet and delicate, the pineaple I mean. :D

But the loveliest beach of Europe was in my opinion the beach of Vai during the "old" days but, since those days have gone I prefer the beach at Elaphonisis ( in the off season naturaly).

To be honest, I like beaches where your next neighbour can only be spotted when you use binoculars :)

Keep (sun)bathing :D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#14 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

Steve,
I was surprised because I believe there are far better beaches than this one.
So what is the other beach of Crete that features in the Top 10? Elafonissi? Or Balos?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#15 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

yannis,the only other beach they have mentioned(albeit in another programme) was the beach on the island of Gavdos.
As any one who knows Crete,would Im sure agree,there are scores of beaches better than Rethymnon!
Perhaps they mean beaches that you dont need to travel far from your hotel!

#16 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

SteveB,

Near to the beach sounds good to us...we've stayed at several hotels near the 'Worlds Top 10 Nude Beaches'

So where's the hotel near Red Beach?

Jenny & Phil
Posted Image
Fun loving couple

#17 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

So where's the hotel near Red Beach?

the nearest is in Matala
The Manchester Regiment

www.themanchesters.org

#18 SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

I second the motion for Komos Beach ! not only there is a magnificent view on the sea coming from Pitsidia, but also the beach is long, sandy and peaceful. ;)

and if you're bored with lying in the sun you can have some exercise by walking all the way to Kalamaki, enjoy a cool frappe (or whatever) over there and walk your way back to Komos. ;)
time isn't money, it's precious !