6 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

(or anyone else)On another forum I'm being asked about studios on the sandy beach. I can search Google with the best of them, but do you know of anywhere you might recommend, please
Sheila

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Well, there are a few that we have experience of. And would like to have lots more experience of, naturally ...

Next to Pal Beach (quite expensive, and definitely not worth it) as Taverna Sunset, run by Yorgos, a retired postman and a delightful chap. He has five rooms, each with private bathroom and fridge, maybe with a hotplate as well. This is on the more quiet stretch of the road, towards the castle: the only significant noise can be the garage at the back, run by his son.

Neapolis is in the same building as the post office, next to the junior school. This is another good place to stay, with smaller rooms downstairs and two bedroom apartments upstairs. My recommendation is to get a room away from the school if you like a lie-in.

Immediately after this (going away from the centre) is Poseidon. We have never stayed there, but have had drinks and so on, and generally heard good reports.

Finally, the next place is Zygos, run by Vangelis and Fifi. They do the best special ice coffee, with big dollops of delish ice cream, in town. Rooms are at the back, mainly in a newish complex, in a very nice garden.

Both Posidon and Zygos tend to be filled up by the likes of Kosmar, but have the occasional vacancy. There are a few other places, including the Elman Hotel (bit more expensive, and may even have a pool), but these are the places that we are most familiar with.

Unless you're going in the height of the season (late July to early September) then I wouldn't book - turn up, see what goes, and strike a deal that everybody can be happy with.

HTH, Henry.

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

Hi Sheila,

Did you search Google with the name Paleohora?

It comes up with a plethora

of possibilities.

Keep on googling <_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

Nice to see you back Wim. Hope the students have done well in their exams. I think Sheila was asking Henry Hooray for any personal recommendations as I think he has some knowledge of the town, before she explored Google.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hello Dave,

They did well "grosso modo", thank you.
Yes I noticed too late that what Sheila really wanted was personal advise.
I must have had a black out.

Take care <_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

.....I've warned you about drinking such copious quantities of raki before!!!!!!!! <_<
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#7 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

Thanks Henry, I fled thecountry shortly after I posted thid and didn't have time to deal wihth it. I'll do and check it isn't too late:(

Wim, as I said, i could have googled, but I knew Henry had some direct knowledge.
Sheila