Kobe

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Kalimera,

we are going to hike for 14 days in the south west of Crete

we start with the Tsikhliana gorge from Polyrinia to Sirikari. but after that we don't know well how to walk to the south (Paleochora).

Does anyone has some good suggestions?

Can we go in one day from Sirikari to Elos and the next day from Elos to Voutas (on our map they marked a walking path 'F2') or should we better go to Topolia (Agia Sophia) to vlatos and then maybe hitchhike to Paleochora?

Thank you so much for your answers!

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hi Kobe,

I'm not so sure if the forum members are into that kind of walking. Most of us like the vólta and visit the cafeneon to have ourself a nice tsipouro :lol: . But maybe this site (exlore crete ) can help you out a bit if you type Sirikari in the search bar. Also google gives a lot of hits.

Kalo trécho :rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

Before I start looking at my maps and Google around, I thought I'd just say that I did the walk from Paleochora to Sougia via Anidri a few years ago (and then took the boat 'home' again). This was certainly a great walk, and I would recommend it to anybody who is reasonably fit. There is quite a lot of information about walking in Crete and the SW paths, and last year a guy walked all the way around the island. There's probably still a link on this very site.

Henry.

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Take a look here: http://www.explorecr.../walk-crete.htm
Ivan walked around Crete in 50 days and he provides detailed information about his route. He didn't risk in unknown paths, and this is always a wise advice. There are no real hiking maps for Crete, and the rest you should never trust them 100%. As far as I have found out, there are always errors even in the best maps.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Kobe

Kobe

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

I have already used this usefull links to inform us for the rest of the holidays

normally we go from Paleochora to Sougia, there we take the Agia Irini Gorge and then go to the omalos plateau and there climb some mountains. After that we take the samaria gorge to Agios Pavlos and Agios Ioannis to Aradena then the aradena gorge to Loutro. then climbing to Anapolis to proceed to Hora Sfakion to take the Imbros Gorge.

When there's time left we'll improvise to do some other beautiful walks

of course we don't forget to taste all the good cretan food en to enjoy the cretan hospitallity!