16 replies to this topic

#1 mfc

mfc

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

in todays sun newspaper, a big spread on a double, murder, in chania area, 2 retired brits killed in there house, over the weekend
who ever done this, i hope will rot in hell!

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

hi

I don't know if this makes it better or worse but the police have arrested the couple's son!!

Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:27 AM

Unfortunately, it appears that the story may be true. On teletext this evening it is reported that the couple, in their early/mid 50's, and originally from Cornwall were found in their home in Almyrida. Their son is due to appear before the public prosecutor later today.
Nothing can make such a tragedy any better, and it is just that for the families and our thoughts and prayers go out to them at such a devastating time.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#4 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:12 PM

The boy's side of the story is in today's Times; and he claims to know nothing about it.
Sheila

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

O.K. Here's the news from yesterday.

Copied it from the BBC News.

Crete killings accused is bailed

Terry and Jo Johnson moved to Crete last year
A man from Cornwall accused of killing his parents in Crete has been released on bail, the Foreign Office said.
Ryan Johnson, 32, from Newlyn, was arrested on Monday and appeared in court on Crete on Thursday.

He is charged with murdering Terry and Jo Johnson, aged 53 and 54, at the weekend. Members of his family arrived on the Greek island on Thursday night.

The couple's bodies were found at their home in Almyrida on Sunday. They had moved from Newlyn to Crete last year.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "He has been released on bail - that bail is subject to conditions.

"There is no date set yet for a trial, the investigation is ongoing."

It said that Ryan Johnson's bail of 20,000 euros must be paid by the end of next week.

His passport has been confiscated and he must stay on the island while the prosecutor and investigating judge determine if and when a trial will take place.
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

Yes, this story is true, for me an incredible coincidence and another connection with Crete I'd rather not have. I live in Cornwall in the very town they came from and these people are friends of a friend (who I only met 1 week before this happened). I learned about it a day after it happened, well before it got into the news. She knew the couple well and "used to play with Ryan as children". Down here, none of the family or friends, who are of course shocked and devastated, believe that Ryan did it. He apparently is "a very nice guy", a youth worker and a dance teacher, nobody can understand what happened but they all support Ryan through this. There was an article in our local weekly paper (unfortunately devoid of much facts which were probably still unknown then) about it with photos of all 3 of them, they all look like very warm, friendly, likeable people and as such they were described, by the paper as well as by my friend. Its a tragedy!

#7 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:02 AM

The boy's side of the story is in today's Times; and he claims to know nothing about it.

Sheila, I would be very interested in what the paper said, would it be possible to copy it here/part of it? What did he say? I obviously missed that paper. Will see m y friend tomorrow so will find out more.

Thanks if you can let us know.

#8 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

See Guardian article below:

http://observer.guar...1734273,00.html

#9 MAC

MAC

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:59 AM

in todays sun newspaper, a big spread on a double, murder, in chania area, 2 retired brits killed in there house, over the weekend
who ever done this, i hope will rot in hell!

:rolleyes: I just joined this group and found the newspaper great.I married my greek wife in 1966 while stationed at the airbase in iraklion.The newspaper helps keep up on what is going on there.We will be in crete mid july thru aug to a good visit to her family.I can see that the island is not the same as it was in my day.Sure miss the beaches and above all the people.....MAC

#10 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Which newspaper Jack? The Crete Gazette from Crete or the Observer Guardian from England? :rolleyes:

And yes Crete has changed through the years. Along with the shiploads of well willing tourists came the barbarians from surroundig countries.
Just like in the rest of Europe.

We call it the blessings of the European Union's (EU) open borders. B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#11 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hi MAC

Wellcome to the best site about Crete! Of course you mean the Crete Gazette! It's a great magazine and you can update yourself on how things in Crete have become during the years you've been away. As always in life, happiness is never but a short moment, nothing is static, but all the basics of Crete are still to be found, you just have to explore a bit to find them nowadays. :rolleyes:

#12 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

See Guardian article below:

http://observer.guar...1734273,00.html

Thank you for that link. I didn't know this much detail myself. My heart goes out to the family. I feel distressed about the fact that one could so easily become the victim of injustice, but also encouraged to see Ryan's ability to stay as centered as he can and confident that the outcome will be just. All I have to judge by is the comments of this friend but from what I hear its unthinkable he did it. I pray that he would be treated fairly.

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:13 AM

Hi MAC

Wellcome to the best site about Crete! Of course you mean the Crete Gazette! It's a great magazine and you can update yourself on how things in Crete have become during the years you've been away. As always in life, happiness is never but a short moment, nothing is static, but all the basics of Crete are still to be found, you just have to explore a bit to find them nowadays. :unsure:

Isn't it up to Mac to tell us what source he meant :rolleyes: If I wouldn't know better I'd thought this response came from Yannis. B)

#14 MAC

MAC

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

Isn't it up to Mac to tell us what source he meant B) If I wouldn't know better I'd thought this response came from Yannis. :unsure:

:rolleyes: Yes I mean the Gazette,Have not seen the other one yet.I remember only one ship per day would come in.Many open beaches.Now most have highrise bldgs on the.The main thing I found when I returned in 92 was that the people were the some as I knew them back in the 60's.Very nice and warm.I have been in many countries while in the military and none have been as great as the greeks.Now my wife and I are YAYA and PAPOU to our grandkids and love it.

#15 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

sorry to drag up the past - but can anyone enlighten me on what happened next? Was the person who did this ever prosecuted and if so, who was it?

#16 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Lil,
There was a report a little while ago on UK TV that the main suspect, the son who had previously been arrested and bailed, had been formally decalred no longer a suspect. I cannot recall what term they used for no longer regarding him as a suspect. He never went to trial so it is not a case of being found not guilty, just removed from the suspect list.
As far as I am aware there have been no further arrests in connection with the matter. I expect that if there had been it would have been headline news.
tim

#17 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Tim. When I was out there lots of people were speculating and telling us different stories of what they had heard about the son etc. Best not to repeat them as it only adds fuel to the fire. But how sad that no one has been brought to justice for such a terrible murder don't you think!