6 replies to this topic

#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Considering that I'm a tourist I like travelling so I travelled this site as well :rolleyes:

That was a Sisyphus kind of labor. Many topics cover the same contents and others come up like a moon shadow in full daylight :rolleyes:

But what really made me wonder is that there seems to be only a northern part of Crete known to this forum. It looks like no one wants to meet in the other far more attractive parts of this mysterious island.

If eg; if you use the search bar and ask for "Plakias" it comes up with nothing. Which, now that I think about it is not wrong at all. That way it'll stay nice and quite in those romantic rural areas of Crete. :)

How about the next place eg. and the story that goes with it as it happened to me 30 years ago.

Go there young man, before the exploiters and barbarians take over, the old sailor whispered in my ear.
In his eyes I saw the last reflections of curved landscapes, krikri's and black haired women, in his hand the dittany he gave to me.
Promise me, his deep rasping voice mumbled, promise me...to have them cherish it.....

Papagika Marika sang the blues...."smyrneikos balos"

And this is the place he meant, he used to live there and it is now turned into a beautiful rural landscape-hotel.

LINK REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR - PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES

Go there, and you could be lost for ever

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

Perhaps Wim could enlighten me: is this simply an advert for an hotel?

Henry.

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Perhaps Wim could enlighten me: is this simply an advert for an hotel?

Henry.

Hi Henry,

Yes it was a link to a hotel but not an advert. I just wanted to show that hotels can also be made fitting the landscape without abusing it but if you see that as an advert than it was one. B)

If you are interested which one it was I can mail you the link :unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

Hi Wim,
It actually looked like a very nice "rough" accomodation, and I do agree with you that, if possible, this is how it should be done!

If you know the owner, then maybe you should give him the good advise to put a small advertisement on ExploreCrete or in the Crete Gazette in order for more people to get to know this interesting place? It looks like a place where you could really relax and enjoy Crete's nature in full.

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

Yo Din,

I don't know if that would be a good idea.
Before you know the place is overwhelmed :unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 jojo

jojo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

I think the South East coast of Crete is by far the most beautiful (and more importantly ..... quiet) part of the island. I fell in love with a small sleepy fishing village there on my very first visit 12 years ago and promised myself that one day I would actually make it my home ... which is exactly what I will be doing in a few weeks time. Unfortunately it won't be long before it is "discovered" and becomes like Chania - at which point I will move on. But for now it gets my vote every time.

#7 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Wow, Jojo, you are lucky having your dream come true within a few weeks time!

I don't think I shall ever regret my moving to Crete, I might not stay forever in Pitsidia, but if I move it will only be to an even nicer place, and always in Kriti! ;-)