285 replies to this topic

#161 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, Ton, will pass on greetings - afraid Raki all gone long ago, so will have to wait until next May. :lol: :D Although, might be late March as I'm looking at flight options to come to Crete then - I know it'll have be via Athens. It's our 15th wedding anniversary and I thought it would be a nice present to ourselves and also see Crete out of season.

#162 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi Pam,

I am looking to go out to Crete again in May and have found that BA are starting flights from Gatwick to Heraklion from 27th March 2007, so if you can bear to hold off till then you will be able to fly direct.

John

#163 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Hi everyone

Are there any new developments pertaining the container transit harbour :lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#164 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

Wim,
No news=Good news

#165 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

BA prices to Crete, are currently, low. Have just booked next summer for £67 eachway. That is travelling in June. Some of the prices have crept up so get in quick..
Ian

#166 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Mani that is a lot of info about the developments concerning the Timbaki container harbour.

Καλοσ ονειροσ :lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#167 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

I have to say that I am amazed by the number of forums that this subject is discussed upon.

It was heavily discussed on the forum on my own site but the views were not all as favourable.

Ray
http://www.lovingcrete.com

#168 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Ray, hi and welcome to this forum. In fact I think you will find that the start of this discussion goes back a long time - December last year, which is earlier than on other forums from what I remember. Yes, the consensus on this forum is very much against it especially those who do live in the area. Anyway, the locals have had their say in voting out the previous mayor who was for the development, so hopefully now it will go the way they want it.

Pam

#169 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

Wim

Thanks Mani that is a lot of info about the developments concerning the Timbaki container harbour.

Καλοσ ονειροσ

Sorry my message was in response to an earlier conversation between Pam and John on this thread.
Ian

#170 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Wim, apologies John and I went off topic for a little while. :blush: :blush: I promise it won't happen again!

However, John and Mani, thanks for the info on BA - I've been looking at it and will probably book.

#171 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:42 PM

The latest is that according to New Crete the Minister of destruction is going to Heraklion on the 4th of Nov. to discuss two issues. One will involve the Port in Timbaki and the interest of investors for its creation.

Hopefully the new Mayor of Timbaki will convey to him that both his presence and his port together with the investors he found are undesirable elements among the People and turtles of the Timbaki municipality.

Further good news:

In a move underlining China's keenness to establish a container base in
the Mediterranean major Chinese player China Shipping Container
Development Co has taken a 20% stake in the new container terminal at
Damietta in Egypt. The agreement comes despite Chinese executives making
several trips to Greece this year looking at investing in Crete and
Thessaloniki. While Greece fiddles, CSCDC has signed an agreement with
KGL Ports International of Egypt which will see China Shipping use
Damietta as its main hub in the Mediterranean with a target of some 1m
teu passing through the port within a few years.

Meanwhile, China's other major liner company Cosco continues to press
for a bilateral agreement on using a terminal in Piraeus and
Thessaloniki. Such an agreement is seen as being a key to widening
economic relations between Greece and China, and is therefore considered
a political issue and out of the hands of the management of the two
Greek ports."

NEWSFRONT 20 October 2006 Vol. 7 / No. 39

#172 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:37 PM

The Latest****No word about Timbaki*****

The minister (Alogoskoufis) said China has expressed a special interest in the creation of infrastructure, initially at the ports of Piraeus and Thessaloniki, for its goods to the Middle East, Europe, the Black Sea countries etc.

There is interest not only from Chinese companies in the creation of infrastructure in Greek ports, but also from Greek shipowners for facilities at Chinese ports. Deputy Finance Minister Christos Folias pointed out that he saw opportunities for alliances in all sectors. For example, more than 100 ships have been ordered by Greek shipowners for construction in China.

Chinese companies could also take advantage of Greece's strategic geo-political position and distribute their products to Europe, especially in the evolving southeastern European market, the minister said.

#173 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

:blush: :blush: So, it's still no news is good news????

Pam

#174 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

Will know more Pam after the visit of Kefalogiannis in Crete scheduled on the 4th of Nov. Kefalogiannis will meet with the new Mayor of Timbaki to discuss his plans about the port. We all hope that the new mayor will resist to the sweet offers of this man. We all know that the Chinese don't want Timbaki but if the minister assures them of the management of this port then they might be willing to cooperate. The question is how many key people would have to be sweetly convinced to accept the plans of this minister whose by the way days as minister are limited according to a report published by 'To Vima'

#175 Boiling Snail

Boiling Snail

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

Ton, any news following the meeting ??

#176 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

They were talking about a demonstration in Heraklion. As soon as I have any solid news I will let you know.

#177 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

According to Nea Kriti newspaper:

Entscheidung fur Timbaki bis Ende des Jahres

Decision for Timbaki is expected by the end of the year.

#178 Boiling Snail

Boiling Snail

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

Ton, many thanks for your rapid reply. I am sure there are many other people grateful, too. We may invest in the countryside around the bay this winter, and the container port has been such a cloud hanging over so many days of sunshine. The whole thing has brought into focus how beautiful the area is, and has made us pray for more restrained development. So fingers crossed. Long live the turtles, etc.

#179 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

Boiling snail, I also have a house in the area. Let me know when you move there so we can get together along with other members of this Forum such as Dinny for a drink.

#180 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

According to Patris from today the decision to build or not the Container Port will be decided by the people of the Timbaki Municipality through voting. This news come after the Kefalogiannis meeting on Saturday with the Timbaki municipality officials. This will only happen assuming that the investors will not pull out. So far the Chinese made it clear that they want the ports of Pireaus and Thessaloniki for their container shipments.
The Koreans have only signed a non biding agreement that they will only participate in the construction of the port should such a port be funded by other interesting parties.
So far all indications show that the Minister's plans for the container port are doomed.
Among the people in Timbaki there is now a higher degree of awarness about the adverse cosequences of such a container port for the area.