2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

Can anyone shed light on the graves that can be found in a small plot of land on the corner of Kriari and Timelond Vassu next to a car park. This plot is on a corner opposite the graveyard of the St. Constantine Church, close to the hospital, and a plaque on the exterior wall states'The last resting place of the Polish soldiers who fell for the freedom of Greece 1897 - 1908' this is also in Greek and Polish. Now this explains who the 18 soldiers are but my question is 'Does anyone know the reason why the plaque (that is on the internal wall above the graves upon which are the names of the soldiers) is dated 1933?'. I tried to find an answer a couple of years ago and failed miserably. If anyone knows of this site, do you know if it now being looked after? A couple of years ago it was rather overgrown and the Polish Government were supposed to be making arrangements to have it tidied up.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 Sheila

Sheila

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

On Crete, there are also burials connected with the local revolts against the Turkish forces, which occupied the island, until the end of 19th century. In Rethymno (Kriari street), there is a polish cemetery, which contains 18 graves of Polish soldiers, who died for the liberty of Crete, in the revolts against Turks, during the period 1897-1905.

(I cheated; I looked it up)
Sheila

#3 malgosia

malgosia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

I'm Polish and have been to Rethymnon a couple of times but I've never came agross this place. Next time, I have to go there.

Kind regards from Warsaw,
Malgosia