4 replies to this topic

#1 Britomantia

Britomantia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:35 AM

I have never seen or tasted anything like the tomatoes we ate in Crete! Anything that grows in northern Europe, even under glass just doesn't compare! Was anybody else here, like me, walking around the local grocers with a jaw on the ground, on encountering such huge tomatoes?! In fact anything grown in Crete seemed like this! :) I brought some of these wonderful tomatoes home with me, just so my family could see what I meant when i said 'you have NEVER tasted anything like this.' They all agreed of course! And Also I loved to see the women wondering in bits of wasteland around Hersonossos, gathering herbs which grow wild, and someone said that they were picking vine leaves too, presumably to make stuffed vine leaves? How lovely! :lol:

#2 johnny.dee

johnny.dee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

All produce grown by the members of the European Union is regulated both in size and content, but there are countries that ignore this directive.
British sausages were going to be banned until the locals protested. there was a case recently where cucumbers were to be grown straight,this directive is still in limbo. There are numeous other ( stupid )directives that states ignore

#3 Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*

Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

greek tomatoes are HUGE!!!

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

When buying tomatoes, remember to check that they are actually GREEK! My fruit & vegetables shop in Mires has a box of big, finelooking tomatoes in front of the store (together with all the other vegetables exposed) but when inquiring he admits that those tomatoes are Dutch, green-house grown... but they are cheaper than the Greek tomatoes! While the real Greek tomatoes are in another box inside the store and cost more....

#5 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:01 PM

johnny.dee wrote:

British sausages were going to be banned until the locals protested. there was a case recently where cucumbers were to be grown straight,this directive is still in limbo. There are numeous other ( stupid )directives that states ignore

This thing about straight cucumbers sounds like one os those silly Euro-phobic scare-stories so-called newspapers such as the ultra-patrioc Sun (owner: the American citizen, Australian born, UK resident Mr Rupert Murdoch) spreads.

Henry.