#1 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have been searching all over the web trying to find someplace in Greece where I can go to a Olive Oil Processing factory or museum or whatever. From what I am finding Crete produces a lot of Olive Oil so I thought perhaps there was something there I could go to and see how it is done. I realize that they won't actually be doing it until Nov or Dec but I have been to numerous other types of factories, wineries and such and was able to take the tour. Most I have found very facinating.

I just thought someone might be able to direct me. We leave for Greece Sept 26, 2005 and return Oct 17, 2005 for our first ever trip to Greece.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Globetrotter

#2 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:08 PM

There are two places that I can think of that will give you an impression of how Olive Oil is processed.

One is in the open air Folk Museum in Hersonnisos (Stalida end) but the name of it escapes me at present.

The other is a very new enterprise on the main road between Agios Nikolaos and the village of Kritsa; it is next to the Lidl supermarket. Although this is all obviously new and is strongly biased towards ensuring you buy products to take back it is all very well done. On some days of the week there are Greek Dance demonstrations too.

I am sure there must be other similar places you could always ask in a local Taverna.

Have a really good holiday.

Yvonne

#3 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for info. I have printed up your advice to take with me. Hopefully I will get more....

Thanks a bunch I am looking forward to my first Greek trip !!!

I am so excited.....